Every year Mike gets the kids into the kitchen with him and makes a batch of these classic Christmas Candy Cane Cookies.
I have nothing to do with it as these are my least favourite Christmas cookie ever. Isn’t that weird?
However the kids adore these cookies and I honestly think that these cookies should be a part of every child’s Christmas baking experience. Betty Crocker started the trend so very many years ago, and these cookies are just as popular today!As you can see in the video in this post, my daughter shows you all how to make them and she’s quite the pro now. It’s pretty much exactly like rolling play-dough, so kids are better than we are at making these candy cane cookies!
I know why these aren’t my favourite cookies, it’s because I prefer my whipped shortbread recipe to any other. Always. If I have the choice between any cookie, treat or dessert at Christmas, my whipped shortbread wins, hands down every time. Even over my butter tarts!
Well, maybe not butter tarts, because that Five Roses Flour Butter Tart recipe is THE BEST one you will ever eat!
We have, over the years, decided that these Christmas candy cane cookies needed to be green and red, with no white dough. Hey, if you are going for the holly-jolly food colouring bonanza, why not go full out?
So we nixed the plain dough and divided the entire dough in half to make red and green candy canes – and they are definitely prettier, for sure!
So who makes these classic cookies as well? I swear there is no cookie that is thought of more fondly than these when you are an adult. So many people remember making these as a kid with their parents and it makes me so happy that Mike is continuing on the tradition with our kids!
If you want to make the white and coloured version, they are these Retro Betty Crocker Cane Cane Cookies!
It’s the same cookie, just red and white, and then green and white. These are our full colour version!
Happy Baking and Merry Christmas!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red / green food colouring
- Stir sugar, butter,milk,vanilla,peppermint extract and egg in large bowl
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt, mix into butter mixture.
- Divide dough into half. mix red food coloring into one half and green into the other.
- Refrigerate for over 4 hours.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- For each candy cane, shape one rounded teaspoon of dough from each half. Roll each into a 4 inch rope.
- Place one red and one green rope side by side and press lightly together and twist.
- Place on a pan lined with parchment paper and curve the top to shape into a cane.
- Bake 9-12 minutes until lightly brown.
- Remove from cookie sheet to cool.