My goodness, I can’t remember the last time I baked scones! I adore scones, I am one with scones, yet it’s been…. months? It was time to fix that! Chocolate cherry scones were the solution.
The recipe will be at the end as usual for you to print, but I wanted to walk through how to make perfect scones again with you all. This is simply the easiest way to get evenly sized scones – as close as you will ever get to even- and is so easy!
First, take your entire batch of dough and shape it into a log.
Second, divide the log according to what the yield is. A twelve scone yield recipe should be split into two. An eighteen scone recipe (like all of mine are) should be split into three.
Make sure all the pieces are the same amount of dough.
Flatten each piece by turning it onto it’s side then smooshing it down with the palm of your hand, into six inch disks like shown below.
Make sure each disk is relatively the same thickness from the outside edge to the middle, do not make thin edges. This will ensure that the scones are the same thickness for baking.
Cut each disk into six evenly sized pieces.
Place on the baking sheet and you are ready to go!
There’s nothing better than chocolate and cherry together for a fantastic flavour and it’s one of only a few fruits that really pairs well with both white and dark chocolate. That lead to me to thinking that these babies needed swirl chocolate chips.
Milk and white chocolate swirl chips made all the difference in this recipe, taking it from good to utterly fabulous!
Take a closer peek at those chocolate chips.
Have fun entering the giveaway everyone and good luck!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
Chocolate Cherry Scones
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 20 minutes
- Total Time
- 30 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh cherries
- 10 ounces package white/milk chocolate swirled chips
- 1 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl combine the sour cream and baking soda together.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in the butter using two knives scissor style or with a pastry blender until it resembles coarse peas in the flour mixture.
- Add in the sour cream and beaten egg, gently mixing until it's almost together.
- Once the mixture is this close to being completely combined, add in the bag of white chocolate chips. Mix gently again. Then when it's just ready, add in the cherries.
- By now you have scooped it together and rolled it into one large log. This is the start of how you make perfect scones every time. Cut the log into three pieces. Flatten each round disk into a 6 inch square then cut into 6 equal triangles. I never do scones any other way now, this technique makes things so easy now.
- Take your 18 scones and place on a well-greased cookie sheet or parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees until browned and beautiful, about 20 minutes.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.