There are few things tastier than cheese and chili. Why not combine them together into one easy and delicious dip with this recipe for Chili Cheese Dip? This is one of our favorite camping recipes, but we also make it at home!
For other great dips to serve at parties, why not try The Best Taco Dip or some Hot and Cheesy Artichoke Dip instead?
Table of Contents
Chili Cheese Dip
This recipe literally could not be easier; besides remembering to take the cream cheese out of the fridge early enough so that it softens, you literally only need to combine a few ingredients and heat it up.
Despite how simple this might seem, it creates something ooey, gooey, and incredibly delicious, able to hold up really well to cooking and remaining warm for a long time.
Serve this with some really crunchy tortilla chips, and you are pretty much guaranteed a good time.
Chili Cheese Dip Ingredients
Make sure you look at the recipe card at the very bottom for the exact amounts, as there are a few fiddly ingredients here.
• Cream cheese softened
• Can of chili
• Tex Mex cheese
• Tortilla chips
How To Make Chili Cheese Dip
• Place a layer of cream cheese on the bottom of an oven-safe pan or pot
• Pour the can of chili onto the cream cheese and spread evenly
• Sprinkle as much cheese as you want on the top and then cover the pan with aluminum foil
• Bake at 350 Fahrenheit for 20 minutes until the dip is warm and the cheese has totally melted
• Cool until it is safe to touch and then serve with tortilla scoops
What Kind Of Cheese Blend Is Best Here?
This recipe calls for using some Tex Mex cheese in your chili cheese dip, but what does that actually mean?
Tex Mex cheese is a bit of a confusing term, as there is no real specific rule for what qualifies a cheese as being “Tex Mex.” Typically speaking, it is any blend of cheese meant to evoke that kind of Tex Mex feels to it. This usually ends up with a 50 / 50 blend of Cheddar and Monterey Jack.
Some companies, however, will go even further, using an interesting blend of different flavor profiles through spices. Common additions include things like cumin, chipotle powder, and cayenne pepper.
When looking for your own blend of cheese for this recipe, try and just pick something that you like and that you would feel happy eating on its own.
One other thing to note is that a lot of pre shredded cheese blends you buy from the supermarket contain things like cornstarch, which helps stop the cheese from sticking together. Make sure that you like how they melt before using these, otherwise, you can shred your own blend of cheese.
How To Keep This Dip Warm & Stop It From Solidifying
A problem with any hot dip made from cheese is that it can tend to solidify if left at room temperature for too long.
Luckily, this recipe’s combination of cream cheese and chili layers with that Tex Mex cheese means that, while it will still thicken as it sits out, it will only be the top.
However, you REALLY should keep your dip warm if it’s not eaten right away for guests, and avoid any kind of solidification, consider buying a food warming dish or plate!
The dishes are basically a long-lasting candle that is hidden underneath your container, and the warming plate/tray are plug-in electric plates that you can find at any thrift store.
Looking for more delicious Dip recipes? Try these out:
• Rotel Dip, The BEST Velveeta Cheese Dip
• Easy Chunky Homemade Guacamole Recipe
Enjoy! We have also been known to eat this AS dinner while camping, it’s soooo good!
Don’t forget to PIN THIS RECIPE to you APPETIZER RECIPES board and remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Learn to cook like the Kitchen Magpie
Flapper Pie and a Blue Prairie Sky
A Modern Baker’s Guide to Old-Fashioned Desserts
The Prairie Table
Suppers, Potlucks & Socials: Crowd-Pleasing Recipes to Bring People Together
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you’ll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Chili Cheese Dip
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 22 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- one 8 ounce package cream cheese softened
- one 15 ounce can chili
- 2 cups shredded Tex Mex Cheese
- 1 bag tortilla chip “scoops”
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Place a layer of cream cheese on the bottom of the oven safe pan or pot that you are going to use.
- Pour the can of chili onto the cream cheese and spread out evenly to cover it up.
- Sprinkle as much cheese as you want on top, covering the whole area. Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Heat in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the dip is warm and the cheese has melted. Uncover and cook for another 5 minute to really melt the cheese.
- Remove and let cool until still warm but safe to the touch, then serve with tortilla scoops.
- nutritional value will depend on brands used
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Made this recipe?
Share a photo of what you made on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @thekitchenmagpie or hashtag it #thekitchenmagpie.
Please rate this recipe in the comments below to help out your fellow cooks!
Leave a Comment or Recipe Tip