These butterscotch cookies are soft, chewy and a delicious change of pace from chocolate chip cookies. Butterscotch is one of those old-fashioned flavors that is perfect in cookies.
Ingredients for Butterscotch Cookies
This is just a list of the ingredients; the complete measurements are in the printable recipe card below!
- All-purpose flour
- White sugar
- Brown sugar
- Baking soda
- 2 Eggs
- Butterscotch chips
How to Make Butterscotch Cookies
- Mix together all your dry ingredients in a small bowl
- In a separate bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until completely creamed
- Add in the vanilla and the eggs, one at a time
- Slowly add the flour, folding it in with a spatula, and then add the butterscotch chips
- Put tablespoonful sized dollops onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 8 minutes at 375 Fahrenheit
- Cool completely on a wire rack
How to Store Butterscotch Cookies
Storing these cookies is as easy as storing any other kind of cookie or baked good; keep it sealed, keep it away from heat and keep it away from the air.
However, one really great tip when storing these cookies is to put a small piece of regular sandwich bread in with them.
The piece of bread will absorb extra moisture within the container, soaking it up and making sure it doesn’t affect your cookies. If you plan on storing your cookies for longer than a week, make sure to replace the bread whenever it starts to change its texture and get soggy.
If you do want some more basic chocolate chip cookies, try this Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. Or, try this crispy chocolate chip cookie recipe instead if you like a buttery crunch. (You can also use butterscotch chips in that crispy cookie recipe, but it is SO SWEET!)
PIN THIS RECIPE to your DESSERT RECIPES Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 8 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- one 300 gram bag butterscotch chips
- Preheat your oven to 375 °F.
- Mix together the flour, salt and baking soda in a small bowl, set aside.
- Cream the sugars and butter together until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating each in thoroughly.
- Slowly add the flour mixture, mixing in until combined completely.
- When completely mixed, stir in the butterscotch chips by hand.
- Drop by large tablespoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, or until the edges and bottoms of the cookies are browned. Remove and let cool on the sheets for 5 minutes the transfer to a wire baking rack. Cool completely.
- the better the quality of your butterscotch chips, the better the cookies will be!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.