This Beer & Mushroom Instant Pot Pot Roast combined two, no three of my favorite things. Pot roast, beer and mushrooms.
This Beer & Mushroom Instant Pot Pot Roast will be a hit with your family – and it’s so easy to make!
It came about because I am really trying to use what I have in my fridge and pantry up this spring. I have the bad habit of doing too much grocery shopping and then items in my pantry get stuffed to the back. Two years later I have to throw them out when I do a my bi-annual cleaning of the pantry. I look at expiry dates and just keep putting cans back in the pantry if they are ok. I am really trying to use up what I have at the back of my pantry shelves. This time around I had a can of mushroom soup, a can of mushrooms and an onion soup packet that needed to be used up and I always have a pot roast in the freezer at all times.
So I dug up a bottle of beer that was in the pantry as well.
I rarely cook a roast outside of my Instant Pot anymore, they are all Instant Pot pot roasts. It is so fast compared to my slow cooker and I honestly never use my oven anymore- how can I justify using 10 hours of electricity running a stove for one roast? It’s just crazy when you think of the power that must be used running an oven for 10 hours straight. So it’s either the slow cooker or the Instant Pot and ever since I bought my Instant Pot it’s been my go-to.
This is a nice twist for a pot roast and you can barely taste the beer, so don’t worry. What it does is add moisture and help make the gravy. At the end you have this amazing gravy that you thicken up and serve over the roast! It’s SO good!! You can use fresh mushrooms BUT because they add so much moisture you are going to have to cook them first.
So, who is up for trying another Instant Pot pot roast recipe? I am sure that I will be making at least one or two more before winter is over, it’s our weekend favourite.
Pin this to your Crockpot/Slow Cooking or Supper Ideas Boards!
- 1 4lb chuck or blade roast, strings and packaging removed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 330ml bottle of beer
- 1 10.75 oz. can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 9-10 oz. can of mushrooms, drained well (see notes for fresh mushrooms)
- 1 package of onion soup mix
- Press the saute button on your Instant Pot and add the olive oil. Brown the roast on all sides in the oil. Turn off the saute function.
- Add in all of the vegetables.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the Worcestershire sauce, beer, soup and soup mix until combined.
- Pour over the roast.
- Press your Meat/Stew button and cook at high pressure for 120 minutes.
- You can manually release the steam or let it naturally release. With a roast like this the extra time won't hurt it with the natural release.
- Take 2-3 cups of the sauce and place it in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil and reduce for 5-6 minutes.
- Whisk together 1 tbsp of cornstarch with 1/4 cup water. Whisk into the boiling sauce and cook until it thickens.
- Shred the roast beef and serve with gravy.
If you want to use fresh mushrooms you will have to fry them up first to get rid of moisture, or your gravy will be too thin.