You can all thank Mr Magpie for this recipe. We went out to the trailer at the lake for one last camp – we are too busy this September to get out there again- I was rummaging around in the fridge looking for something to bake up for dessert. I had a can of large cinnamon rolls in my hand and hollered out to Mike ” Run to the store and get me something to bake into these cinnamon buns. Anything. Just buy it.”
He came back with Turtles.
Mmm mmm mmm…. I love Turtles! Ha. Now it’s totally in your head. You’re welcome. It is SO easy to make a giant cinnamon bun in a skillet folks, I wonder why I have never done this before! You simply take all of the rolls out of the package and link them together, like shown below. You wind and wind the dough around and voila!
You end up with this! You can wind in the turtles pieces, or whatever has struck your fancy at the moment. Remember my Oreo cinnamon buns? Let’s just say those would be absolutely amazing as a giant cinnamon bun. I might have to create that next!
Oh em gee you guys. I mean, look at this. Yowza. I didn’t want to share.Oh, but I did share and everyone was duly impressed. The kids were salivating over this one before I even made it. While I did make this camping, I made it in the oven, so there is no reason that you can’t make it at home. Heck, it’s even better at home, a nice, quick, easy dessert! This might just be the wrap up of my camping posts….I don’t think I have many or any left to write!
Well, let’s get on to Fall recipes now, shall we?
Love you more than summer,
PIN THIS RECIPE to your CAMPING RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Two Ingredient Giant Turtles Cinnamon Bun
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 25 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- one can of Pillsbury Giant Cinnamon Rolls
- 3 packages Turtles. chopped of 3
- Pop open the can of cinnamon rolls and remove the rolls and icing.
- Unroll the first cinnamon bun and place some Turtles on the strip of dough. Re-roll loosely. Attach the end of the first cinnamon bun to the end of the second unrolled cinnamon bun, sprinkle Turtles on the second strip of dough and roll around the first cinnamon bun ,creating a larger cinnamon bun.
- Place this larger bun in the middle of a skillet and repeat the directions, until you have rolled up all 5 cinnamon buns together.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until the cinnnamon bun is cooked and browned, anywhere from 20-25 minutes.
- Cool and ice with the included icing!
Cooking on the Fire or BBQ
- You can make this cinnamon bun on the campfire as well. Simply cover it with tinfoil and place on the fire grill, making sure that you've chosen a spot that isn't too hot and won't burn the bottom.
- For the BBQ, light one side. Place the skillet on the OPPOSITE side and cook the uncovered skillet until the cinnamon bun is cooked.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.