If having a torrid love affair with your breakfast is wrong, I don’t want to be right. When I whipped up this Tex Mex Steak & Eggs Skillet the other day, I knew I had to write this recipe up as fast as I could and publish it because I didn’t want any of you to miss out on this for one….single…second.
This made my morning. I seriously haven’t eaten anything this amazing in a long, long time. Do you remember my 4 Ingredient Crockpot Beef Dips? Well this is what uses the leftovers! All you need is a cup of leftover beef, and the more fall-apart beautiful the beef is (short ribs, blade roast) the better this skillet will be!
While I raved about my Mexican Bean Breakfast Skillet (and deservedly so!) it is a 100% healthy, hearty start to your day. Or supper. My reader Carolyn made the Mexican Bean Skillet for supper for her Meatless Monday, what a fabulous idea!
This isn’t as healthy, but it’s seriously not that bad at all. It does have leftover beef in it and more cheese than the bean skillet but it is STILL chock full of bean protein, onions and tomatoes.
First you will fry up your onions in the skillet until they are soft and translucent. Then you will add in the tomatoes, beef, taco seasoning and beans.
Simmer until the tomato juice has reduced and you have a nice, thick sauce.
Mix in your cheese.
Once the cheese is melted, make four little pockets and place the eggs in them.
Bake at 400 degrees for 4-5 minutes, until the eggs are still wobbly. Remove from the oven, sprinkle more cheese on top and then place back into the oven and bake until the cheese melts.
Remove and serve.
This is one of the most beautiful breakfasts I’ve ever made, as well. I’d serve this to company in a heartbeat.
The gorgeous egg dripping on this…is just so seriously beautiful.
A few secrets to making this the best:
- Use soft, shredded beef, like short ribs or blade roast. It makes this SO much better when the beef melts all throughout the dish. You can use leftover steak as well, just make sure it’s diced small!
- The cream cheese adds this creaminess that is beyond compare. Don’t leave it out!
- Don’t overcook the eggs! You need that gorgeous yolk!
- USE fire roasted canned tomatoes! They give this such an amazing smokey flavor!
So this is perfect for your Sunday morning. I suggest that you all make a gorgeous steak (rib eye, T-Bone) on Saturday night and save a cup of meat for this dish on Saturday. Or when you are making a roast, make sure to save the meat and try this skillet!
Happy cooking everyone!
Love you more than I love my skillet (and that’s saying a LOT!),
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 oz can of diced fire roasted tomatoes approx 14
- 1 oz can of black beans drained and rinsed, 14
- 1 cup of diced leftover beef roast or steak
- 3 tbsp Taco Seasoning mix or homemade
- 1 cup of shredded cheese Tex Mex flavor is best
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup shredded Tex Mex cheese for topping
cilantro for garnish
- In an oven safe skillet, fry up your onions in the skillet in the olive oil until they are soft and translucent.
- Add in the tomatoes, beef, taco seasoning and beans.
- Simmer on medium heat until the tomato juice has reduced and you have a nice, thick sauce.
- Mix in both cheeses until they are melted throughout.
- Make four little pockets in the beans and crack one egg into each.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 4-5 minutes, until the eggs are still wobbly but almost cooked. Remove from the oven, sprinkle more cheese on top and then place back into the oven and bake until the cheese melts.
- Remove from the oven, top with cilantro and serve!
- Serving Size: 4