When I am not eating oatmeal every morning during the week, I also indulge in a frittata. I’ve already mentioned how I pop it into the oven then go and wake the kids up in the mornings. By the time my slow pokes are ready, so is the frittata for a very healthy start to our mornings. Another low carb breakfast is my Tex Mex steak and eggs skillet.
Because lordy, I get tired of oatmeal. However, while people might think I eat crazy, decadent things all week long, the sad truth is that it has to be oatmeal or protein in the mornings, a salad or sandwich for lunch (if we haven’t gone out for lunch) and then dinner that I try to make as healthy as possible most nights. All the delicious baked goods on my website usually end up in the volunteer room at school or donated to unsuspecting
I also have to make up for all the eating out we do while travelling and all the food events I go to. And let’s be honest, I’m not giving up wine or drinking anytime soon, so THAT’S not being cut out. 😉
So these are the reality of my mornings. Protein and veggies.
It’s a damn fine start to your day.
(and omg, it’s better than oatmeal)
This one is a family favorite. I don’t know if it’s because of the amazing tomatoes on top or the salty goodness of the feta (for me, it’s surely that salty goodness) but I can eat this all week long.
I love this frittata so much that I forgive it for being healthy, and that takes something.
More Frittata Recipes
Feel free as usual to play around with the amount of eggs and white, I always try to use some egg whites instead mixed with whole eggs. You can use egg replacer just fine, I actually have used ALL egg whites and it still tastes great! That’s thanks to the garlic, onion and salty, salty feta!
Mmm, salty feta.
Happy Cooking everyone!
I definitely love you more than oatmeal.
Don’t forget to PIN THIS RECIPE to your BREAKFAST RECIPES board and remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Tomato, Spinach and Feta Frittata
This easy and delicious Tomato, Spinach and Feta Frittata is a great healthy, low carb breakfast recipe.
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 15 minutes
- Total Time
- 30 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small white onion chopped
- 1 clove fresh garlic minced
- 2 1/2 cups of fresh spinach
- 1 large tomato washed and sliced into circles
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 5 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F.
- In a 10 inch cast iron pan, saute the onions until the onions are translucent and soft, Add in the garlic and fry for another 2 minutes. Add in the spinach and cook until the spinach is wilted
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and egg whites.
- Pour over the vegetables in the skillet, stirring if needed to disperse the vegetables evenly.
- Place the tomato slices on top. Sprinkle with the feta cheese.
- Place in the 350 degree oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, until the egg is fully cooked in the middle of the skillet.
- Remove from the oven and serve, using salt and pepper to taste.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.