Sour cream coffee cake is an amazing tradition and is a must-have for any good afternoon coffee. This recipe uses some delicious sour cream to provide a tangy, acidic twist to the classic recipe.
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Sour cream adds an intensely sour richness to basically any dessert recipe, including this delicious coffee cake.
With a few warming spices, some eggs and vanilla, and plenty of sweet cinnamon topping sprinkled on top, this sour cream coffee cake will be the highlight of any coffee break.
It can also serve as a really good light breakfast, though the excess amount of sugary topping might be a bit too sweet for some people first thing in the morning. (not me however, this is juuuust right.)
Sour Cream Coffee Cake Ingredients
Make sure you look at the recipe card at the very bottom for the exact amounts.
• All-purpose flour
• Baking powder
• Baking soda
• Ground nutmeg
• Granulated sugar
• Vanilla extract
• Sour cream
• Granulated sugar
• Brown sugar
• Chopped walnuts
How To Make Sour Cream Coffee Cake
• Grease a 9×9 pan and set aside
• In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and soda, salt, and the nutmeg
• In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
• Beat in the eggs one at a time, until they are fully combined and then mix in the vanilla
• Add in the dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream, mixing until smooth
• Spread the batter into the prepared pan, tapping and shaking gently to remove air bubbles
• Combine the topping ingredients in a small bowl, and then sprinkle over in an even layer
• Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted comes out clean
• Serve immediately and then store for up to 24 hours at room temperature
What Actually Is Coffee Cake?
The term “coffee cake” is a little bit of a misnomer in most cases – you would think that if a cake is called “coffee cake,” it would have coffee in it, right?
Well, this is one of those times where the name means different things depending on where you live in the world.
A coffee cake in the UK or Western Europe would likely actually contain coffee or at least be slightly coffee-flavored.
In North America, however, coffee cake just means that it is designed to be eaten alongside coffee.
It is usually crumbly, with a streusel-like topping that adds a combination of sweet and crumbly extra flavor that is really the main reason why anyone eats coffee cake, to begin with.
The thing that makes this coffee cake really significant, though, is the sour cream. It gives that little bit of sourness and acidity, as well as a soft yet dense texture that makes it amazing as a cake in its own right.
If you wanted to try and put some extra coffee flavor into the cake, you might consider adding a little bit of instant espresso powder or even subbing just a little bit of the sour cream for some strong coffee. It might taste a bit strong, but it should add a little bit of coffee flavor that should be quite pleasant.
How To Alter The Topping To Your Liking
The topping of this sour cream coffee cake uses a mixture of brown sugar and walnuts to provide plenty of crumbly, crunchy bite to each piece of cake.
You can use all brown sugar, replace the walnuts with pecans if wanted, and a dash of nutmeg always is a good idea!
Looking for more delicious Coffee Cake recipes? Try these out:
So remember, do NOT overbake, store at room temp, and eat this within 24 hours. Coffee cakes are notorious for drying out!
Pin This Recipe To Your Baking Recipes Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 25 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F. Grease a 9×9 pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and soda, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until fully combined, then mix in the vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream to the butter mixture. Mix until smooth.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Tap a few times on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Combine the topping ingredients in a small bowl, working the butter into the dry ingredients until small pieces, then sprinkle in an even layer on top of the batter,
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted comes out clean. Do not overbake or it will dry out!
- Serve warm immediately for the best cake. Store for up to 24 hours in a closed container at room temperature, coffee cake tends to dry out fast. Do not refrigerate.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.