Once upon a time in my early food blogging days, a friend from high school sent me a message and asked ” If you ever come across a recipe for Australian Lumberjack Cake, let me know.” I did a little bit of research on the web, found absolutely nothing (remember, this is probably 6 years ago when the internet still was a burgeoning force when it came to recipes) and tucked that little nugget into the back of my head for a later date.
Now, first things first. Has ANYONE else ever heard of Australian Lumberjack Cake?
No one has ever known what I was talking about when I mentioned this recipe ( except my friend that had actually lived in Australia for many years) so when I was thinking of a recipe that would make a great idea for a food video that would teach people a NEW recipe, this one popped right into my head.
In all of my cake tasting years ( and oh have I tried cakes!) I have never come across something that has this flavour combo. The apples and dates are vaguely reminiscent of a date pudding but not close enough because once you throw that that broiled coconut topping on top?
Sweet Lord above. This is now Mike’s favourite cake, no word of a lie.
I can’t call it plain, but it is a plain cake. It doesn’t have this flavour that punches you in the mouth but is a delicate apple and date delight perfectly foiled by that coconut topping.
Sigh.What I am trying to do here is describe the flavour of a cake that is brand new to me and I’m just not doing it justice. So much for being a wordsmith.
You have to try this cake to actually see what I am talking about. The Australian Lumberjack Cake is moister than any cake mix cake you are going to find but light as a feather. The coconut broiled topping is where most of the sweetness lies in the cake and it’s simply perfect in every way.
So thank you to my friend Lori for living in Australia and asking me to make this cake. Sorry it took me about 6 years. You guys should thank her as well, because once you try this cake, you are going to keep dates, coconut and apples in your house at all times. Guests? This is the recipe that everyone is going to ask you for because like I said, you haven’t really tasted anything like this cake before.
Happy Baking. Make this cake!
Pin this recipe to your DESSERTS or CAKES Board!
Australian Lumberjack Cake! This rich, moist cake is loaded with dates & apples and is honestly unlike any other cake you have ever tried!
- 1 cup peeled chopped apple
- 1 cup dates , diced small
- 1 Tsp baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 Large egg
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp milk
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Combine apples, dates, baking soda and water in a medium sized bowl. Allow to cool to lukewarm.
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F.
- Grease an 8×8 pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat well.
- Sift flour and salt, beat in alternately with apple mixture.
- Pour into the pan and bake for approximately 1 hour or until cooked.
- Make the topping by combining butter, sugar, milk and coconut and use the microwave or the stove top to melt the ingredients together.
- Spread over the hot cake and return to oven for a further 20 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Recipe inspired from HERE