Everyone needs an easy sausage breakfast bake casserole recipe in their holiday repertoire. There is nothing better than waking up and popping what is also called a “wifesaver casserole” into the oven first thing, then settling into your holiday with a cup of coffee in hand, knowing that your breakfast is on the way.
Sausage Breakfast Bake Casserole
Let’s face it, wifesaver is definitely a 1950’s term when the little wife did all the cooking.
Let’s face it again : most women STILL do all the cooking on holidays! Just like most of the housework still falls to women even though they are working full time….and the childcare worries… the list goes on and on. Maybe this should be call a sanity saver casserole instead. Or a ” this recipe is so easy that someone else can help out Mom on holiday’s and bake this casserole.” I think I like that one the best. We still have to come a long way, baby, when it comes to freeing up women on the holidays and a little casserole ain’t gonna do it!
That aside, this sausage breakfast bake casserole was delicious AND easy enough that my kids can make it.
Time warning : This has to be prepared the night before you want to serve it
This is just a quickie recipe with hardly any pictures, as my mom made this one as well on Thanksgiving weekend and I only managed to a) eat it and b) take a picture of the food before I inhaled it. My sister has a repertoire of breakfast casserole recipes that she has gleaned off the women she works with, and we are determined to try them all! Tis the season really, and I have discovered that they are really a comforting, warm way to start your weekend morning off with the family. And, there are so many different kinds, that you are sure to come across one that you all love.
This sausage breakfast bake however is seriously THE BOMB. It’s so easy, has only a few ingredients and it turns out every time! You can’t beat that for a holiday casserole.
Happy baking everyone!
Pin This Recipe to Your Breakfast Board & Remember to Follow Me On Pinterest!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Sausage Breakfast Bake
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 50 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour
- Karlynn Johnston
- 340 grams maple pork sausage
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 4 eggs beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 6 slices white bread toasted and cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 cups of Cheddar cheese shredded
Take the sausage out of the casing, and fry it up, breaking it into small little pieces as you go. Cook thoroughly, then drain and pat the extra grease off with paper towels. Using maple flavored sausage gives it a sweet flavor that just can't be beat!
- In another bowl, combine the mustard, salt, eggs and milk, mixing thoroughly.
- Toast the slices of bread and slice into cubes.
- Do NOT layer the bread instead of cubing it. The texture and end result is much, much different and I will be posting layered casseroles in the weeks to come. This one is unique and should be baked like the instructions.
- Combine the egg mixture with the bread cubes and cheese. Pour into a very well greased pan and cover.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, take it out, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cover it and bake at 350 for an hour. Take the tinfoil off and add the shredded cheese on top. Turn the oven down to 325 and bake for another 30-40 minutes, until it's cooked in the middle. ( 165 degrees is the safe temp)
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.