Ok, raise your hand if you ate these as a kid at Christmas time. Whoever though of using salted soup crackers as the base of a square is absolutely brilliant in my mind. Salty, sweet and chocolate? Yes, please!
My mom loved to make these every Christmas and now I know why; they are so easy and fast to make it’s crazy! I ended up baking these for gifts this year because I am on a time budget like nobody’s business. This was my kind of recipe!
These take about fifteen minutes out of your day to make, perhaps another five if you actually want to cut them into squares all neatly and pretty instead of just smacking them to break them apart.
While my Mom’s never had sprinkles on them I thought they are a beautiful festive addition to these delightful holiday treats!
So, have you ever eaten these? If not, try them and I certainly would encourage you to gift these this year, they are so fast and easy. Any recipe that lessens the stress at Christmas is a winner in my books!
Happy Baking everyone!
Saltine Toffee Squares
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 6 minutes
- Total Time
- 16 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 40 saltine crackers
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup Christmas sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a rimmed cookie sheet (also known as a jelly roll pan) with parchment paper.
- Align crackers side by side in a single layer along baking sheet then set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine the butter and brown sugar and bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Once it reaches a boil stop stirring and allow to boil 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla then immediately and carefully pour mixture over crackers in an even layer. You will need to spread it out evenly using the back of spoon.
- Place in the oven and bake 5 to 6 minutes until bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the top evenly with the chocolate chips.
- Let rest 5 minutes then using the back of a spoon spread the melted chocolate into a smooth layer. Sprinkle the sprinkles over the top evenly.
- Move to the freezer (or outside if you live where I live!) and allow to chill 20 minutes or until chocolate has set.
- Remove from freezer and break or cut into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.