This Red, White and Blueberry Pie Marshmallow Fluff was a completely accidental patriotic dessert recipe. I'm not an American, I'm Canadian, so I don't generally think of Fourth of July themed desserts. I WAS thinking of making a blueberry pie fluff, for sure, and while filming the video for it I decided that it needed a topping of whipped cream and cherries. The blue became red, white and blue by pure ingredient fluke – so my accidental recipe means that my American friends get a new delicious dessert for their patriotic party! Not that my fellow Canucks can't make this – you should, this is so easy, fast and is for those of us that love a good blueberry dessert!
What is a marshmallow fluff?
Fluffs are dessert salads that use marshmallows OR marshmallow fluff from the jar in them. When you make and then refrigerate a marshmallow fluff dessert, the marshmallows expand and then set, making the dessert fluffy and light, yet one that sticks together almost like a pudding. You can use all sorts of things to add in to the dessert from fresh fruit and puddings, to whipping cream or Cool Whip – I wanted to use up a can of pie filling that I had in my cupboard.
Karlynn's Tips & Tricks for Making a Marshmallow Fluff Dessert
- This recipe has NO coconut! I have found over the years that a good 25-30% of people don't enjoy coconut in their desserts and it's such a go-to when people make a marshmallow fluff dessert. The coconut does add texture, but I found that the solid blueberries in the pie filling added enough texture for me. If you love coconut in your marshmallow fluff desserts then you can add in 1/2 cup of sweetened coconut to this.
- Let the fluff set for a few hours. You can definitely make this the night before, just don't do the toppings until the very last minute before serving. The whipping cream can flatten and the cherries can run colour.
- Drain those cherries well for the topping! I actually left mine draining overnight to make sure they weren't going to run.
- Obviously you can add in any pie filling that you want! Cherry would work great with this as well!
How to Make Red, White and Blueberry Pie Marshmallow Fluff Video
If you are looking for some other great dessert recipes try my:
Pin this recipe to your Desserts Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
This Red, White and Blueberry Pie Marshmallow Fluff is perfect for patriotic picnics, the Fourth of July or any day when you want a great marshmallow fluff dessert!
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup lemon yogurt
- 1 20 ounce can blueberry pie filling
- 3 cups miniature white marshmallows
- spray can of whipped cream or whipped cream
- 20 maraschino cherries
Pour the whipping cream into a large bowl. Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, beat the whipping cream until it forms soft peaks. Stop the mixer and add in the sugar and vanilla. Continue beating again until stiffer peaks form, another minute or two, then stop.
Fold in the yogurt completely, then add in the blueberry pie filling. Mix gently until the filling is completely mixed in.
Stir in the marshmallows, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
To top, place dollops of whipping cream on top and place a cherry in each one. Serve right away.