Raise your hand if you ate Raspberry Walnut Thumbprint cookies as a child. I must be in full childhood reminiscing mode because so many of my recipes this year are favorites from my childhood. To be honest, that might have to do with the fact that my mom and I spent a long time talking about our favorite cookies when she visited us for Thanksgiving.
These are also my mom’s favorite cookie and actually our talk inspired my Raspberry Walnut Galette that I created. Which was fantastic and the best galette that I’ve ever made.
These cookies are amazing and it’s no wonder they are a classic that appear year after year. So simple to make yet what a gorgeous presentation they make on a cookie platter!
- 1 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 2 eggs separated
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/2 tsp salt if you use unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped walnuts
Raspberry jam of your choice
- Cream together the butter and sugar, then add in the egg yolks and flour.
- Chill the dough for an hour in the fridge.
- Roll the chilled dough into small balls, then dip into lightly beaten egg whites then roll in the walnuts.
- When they are on the parchment lined cookie sheet, press a well in the centre of each ball prior to baking using your thumb, of course!
- Bake at 325 degrees for 8 minutes, then open the oven and re-press the wells.
- Continue baking another 8 minutes until golden.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- While the cookies are still on cookie sheets fill the wells with the Raspberry jam and them move to wire cooling racks.
- Serving Size: 24
What is lovely about these is that you can make them with your own home made raspberry jam from the summertime if you have some. They will be a delightful taste of summertime in a cookie form!
You can use other flavors of jam but raspberry seems to pair the best with walnuts.
They ARE a pain to store, so if you are not serving them right away I would store them without the filling and then fill them when it’s time to serve to company. The jam just makes it messy to store in containers in rows.
Do as I say, not as I did, young cookie Padawans.
Hope you enjoy these as much as we did!
The Christmas Countdown is on Magpie