If there is one bar that I remember my Grandma Marion making when I was young, it was these raspberry coconut bars. There is something so perfect about the flavour combination: the buttery shortbread base, the tart raspberry jam filling paired with the sweet, chewy coconut. Absolute flavour heaven!
I would have to say that these Raspberry Coconut Bars are one of my top 5 favourite bars of all time and that’s sure saying something. Why is it that baked goods with raspberry jam are so amazing? It’s like the old-fashioned raspberry walnut thumbprint cookies that I have here on The Kitchen Magpie. Those are one of my favourite cookies ever!
I suspect that the reason my Grandma made these raspberry coconut bars so often is that they freeze so incredibly well – indeed, like most bars and squares, there’s something a little magical about eating them half-frozen. The chewiness factor increases exponentially and of course, there is that whole “not having to wait for them to defrost” thing as well.
Like I had written in my book, my Grandma always had a large selection of frozen ” dainties” in her freezer, just in case neighbours or friends stopped by for afternoon coffee and a chat. You wouldn’t get caught unawares out on the farm without a diving selection of dainties that you could serve at a moment’s notice.
So who has made or eaten raspberry coconut bars before? Are they a favourite from days gone by? I haven’t made them in years and was inspired to bake up a batch this past week. They are happily sitting in my freezer, awaiting company to serve them to!
Love you more than chocolate,
Don’t forget to PIN THIS RECIPE to your Baking board and remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
Raspberry Coconut Bars
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 45 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup raspberry jam of your choice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 or 9x9 pan and set aside.
- Mix the flour and sugar together, then cut in the butter with a pastry cutter until crust mixture resembles crumbs. Pat the crust evenly into bottom of the baking dish.
- Bake the crust in the oven for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- Spread the jam over the top of the crust evenly.
- Mix the topping ingredients together until there are no lumps and spread evenly over the top. Return to the oven. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the filling is firm and set.
- Remove and cool completely.
- Cool, then slice and serve! These freeze exceptionally well.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.