This recipe for a simple powdered sugar glaze is not only easy to make but delicious and incredibly versatile as well.
Powdered Sugar Glaze
The best part of any good cake or muffin is usually the sugar glaze on top, so why not make your own? This recipe uses cream, or half & half, as well as melted butter, to give a smooth, creamy and delicate consistency that clings to cakes and crackles instead of hardening into a single crunchy layer.
The butter in the recipe is what gives it that crackly finish! It’s the secret ingredient for the perfect glaze!
Powdered Sugar Glaze Ingredients
Make sure you look at the recipe card at the very bottom for the exact amounts, as there are a few fiddly ingredients here.
• Confectioners’ sugar
• Cream, half & half, or whipping cream
• Vanilla extract
• Melted butter
How To Make Powdered Sugar Glaze
• Combine all the ingredients in a measuring cup and stir until there are no lumps
• Alter the consistency using cream to your liking using cream
How To Alter the Flavor of Your Powdered Sugar Glaze
This recipe will make a good standard sugar glaze for use in all kinds of recipes but really only provides a basic, vanilla-forward flavor.
For something a bit more interesting, you could add all kinds of different flavorings. For an orange kick, you could add some orange juice and zest, or even some Cointreau liquor.
For something with a more delicate, macaroon-like flavor, you could add an equal amount of almond extract. It won’t make it taste like almonds but will provide a really interesting, unique flavor in addition to the vanilla.
Feel free to play around a bit with the additions, like using different types of citrus zest or other crazy flavors; just don’t vary too much from the base recipe.
What to Use Your Powdered Sugar Glaze on
This powdered sugar glaze is extremely multi-purpose, as you can use it in whatever recipes you like. This sugar glaze is simple but helps to amplify and expand existing flavors.
This will store pretty well in the fridge as well, as long as you keep it covered.
Looking for more delicious Dessert recipes? Try these out:
Pin this recipe to your DESSERTS BOARD and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you’ll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
Powdered Sugar Glaze
- Prep Time
- 2 minutes
- 0.75 cup
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar aka confectioners or icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream half and half or whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons melted butter
- Combine all ingredients in a measuring cup and stir together until there are no lumps.
- To adjust the consistency, add more or less cream until desired consistency has been reached.
- Drizzle on cakes, muffins, cinnamon buns and more!
- you can omit the salt and use salted butter instead
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.