I have been eating this mushroom soup chicken and rice casserole for as long as I can remember. This recipe has chicken pieces of your choice that are baked up in a creamy mushroom soup and rice casserole, with cheese on top! Oh, and my Grandma would always sprinkle crushed saltine crackers on top as well, an awesome retro touch!
How to Make Chicken & Rice Casserole in the Oven
Unlike a lot of recipes, you don’t HAVE to use chicken breast in my recipe. In my family we actually usually use a whole chicken that has been cut up into the various pieces. Making chicken and rice casserole is SO easy you won’t believe it! Her are the basic steps that you will take to make this chicken casserole ( please see the recipe card for exact details).
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 °F.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients except for the chicken pieces and the cheddar cheese. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Place the chicken on top and bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes or until the chicken reaches the desired temperature.
Ingredients for Chicken and Rice Casserole
The classic ingredients for this chicken and rice casserole are:
- chicken pieces
- mushroom soup
- onion soup mix
- cheddar cheese
Tips and Tricks for Making Chicken & Rice Casserole
- This can be a really affordable meal for your family as you can skip the chicken breasts and use cheaper cuts like chicken thighs and legs if you want. I find that chicken thighs cook up the best in this recipe as chicken breasts can dry out.
- If you use chicken breasts, make sure that you cover them with sauce and rice if you can to keep them from drying out.
- Use only the rice I specify, wild or brown rice will take too long and it won’t cook on time.
- Skin on or skin off chicken is another choice that is up to you. The chicken skin doesn’t crisp up so if you don’t like the texture of soft chicken skin, then remove the skin and cook skinless.
- IF you want to keep the skin on and make it crispy simply place the chicken on top of the rice and soup mixture. It will crisp up more!
This chicken and rice casserole definitely hearkens from the days of canned soup mania and it has stayed popular to this day. If you are wanting the really retro taste, then you have to sprinkle crushed saltines or Ritz crackers on top at the end with the cheese. I love it that way!
Other Great Casserole Recipes
Here are a few tried, tested and true recipes that are also reader favorites! I super love the tater tots casserole, that’s my favourite!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your DINNER RECIPES Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
This Mushroom Soup Chicken & Rice Casserole is a retro favourite easy to make and a budget friendly family pleasing recipe!
- 4-8 pieces assorted cuts of chicken
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 (10.5) oz cans of condensed mushroom soup
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp dry onion soup mix
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat your oven to 375 °F.
Whisk together the rice, soup, water and soup mix until the lumps in the soup are smoothed out and mixed in.
Pour into a large buttered 9x13 or deep large lidded casserole dish.
Place your chicken pieces on top of the rice. IF you are using chicken without the skin, immerse the chicken into the soup and cover it completely so that the chicken doesn't dry out. If the chicken has skin - and I prefer it that way - you can gently set the chicken on top.
Cook for 45-55 minutes until the rice is tender and the chicken has reached a temperature of 165°F for the breast pieces or 185°F for legs and thighs.
Remove from the oven and sprinkle the cheese on top. Let the cheese melt, then serve.
Nutritional information will vary with brands of ingredients used and the cut of chicken.