I have been wanting to make Hamburger Hotdish Tater Tot Casserole for so long now, and I finally got around to making it! There is nothing I love more than a canned mushroom soup casserole and when you add crispy tater tots on top? Whoa Nellie, this is a new favourite!
What is Tater Tot Casserole?
This tater tot casserole is very much like a Shepherd’s pie, you make a creamy ground beef and vegetable filling, or bottom layer and then you top it with tater tots. This is a Midwest dish that is also known as Hotdish, or Hamburger Hotdish, the name varies with whomever you ask!
Dear Midwestern United States, I love you and your casseroles. First it was my Johnny Marzetti casserole that has been an absolute hit on my website and now it’s a hamburger hotdish with tater tots. Hamburger hotdish can be classified as a casserole that uses a canned cream soup mixed with vegetables and then you place some sort of potato product on top. You can make hotdish with mashed potatoes on top or like this one with Tater Tots. Give me all of the Tater Tots, please and thanks!
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole
The first step to making this casserole is preparing the ground beef mixture. Fry it up and then drain the grease from it, or the casserole will be too greasy.
You are going to now prepare the vegetables that you will mix with the cooked ground beef and the soup mixture This is up to your personal preference. I like to use the frozen vegetable medley that has peas, carrots, corn, Lima beans etc. You can use green beans only in your Tater Tot Casserole, or just peas and carrots. What ever your family likes, you can put in as this point.
You then mix together the ground beef, vegetables and the soup. Place this as the first layer, followed by cheese, then the Tater Tots, Bake and enjoy!
Ingredients in Tater Tot Casserole
The basic ingredients for tater tot casserole are ground beef, onions, vegetables of choice, cream soup, cheese and of course, tater tops on top! You can add many other things to this dish and use different soup of choice if you want. I like garlic in mine
Can I Make Tater Tot Casserole With Green Beans?
You can absolutely make this tater tot casserole using green beans for the vegetable. This would make it very much like a green bean casserole, with of course, tater tots on top! Sounds like the perfect casserole for green bean lovers that is a main meal and not just a side dish.
How Long Do I Cook Tater Tot Casserole?
Since the bottom of the casserole is already cooked ( you fully cook the ground beef ) and are simply heating up the vegetables, soup and ground beef mixture, it is mainly all about the tater tops on top. This casserole takes a good 50 minutes to bake up, you need to get the ground beef mixture bubbling and the tater tots crispy!
Hamburger Hotdish / Tater Tot Casserole Tips & Tricks
- Use a low sodium soup if you are wanting to cut the salt in this recipe and skip the salting of the ground beef.
- You can substitute in any soup that you want! I mean really, let your imagination go wild! If you have a favourite canned soup, use it in this hotdish.
- It’s all about getting those Tater Tots on top crispy! You are only heating the inside of the casserole as you completely cook the ground beef before you put it in the casserole. Cook those Tater Tots until they are as crispy as you want them to be.
- You can top the casserole with the cheese AFTER the Tater Tots are cooked and crispy. Do not add it before or your tater tots will never crisp up!
Now of course this is a dinner that is best left to when you want a really awesome treat, when you are wanting comfort food to the MAX. It’s canned soup and Tater Tots you guys, it’s not fine cooking or healthy cooking. But once in a while? Treat yourself to a Hamburger Hotdish with Tater Tots. It’s divinely comforting and perfect for when you want a taste of the Midwest!
More Casserole Recipes
These are some of the best casserole recipes here on The Kitchen Magpie, tried and tested!
- Classic American Goulash
- Sour Cream Ground Beef Noodle Casserole
- Shipwreck Casserole
- Cheesy Beef Dinner Skillet
- Mom’s Cottage Cheese Lasagna
PIN THIS RECIPE to your DINNER RECIPES Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Hamburger Hotdish - Tater Tot Casserole
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 50 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour 5 minutes
- Main Course
- Karlynn Johnston
Ground Beef Mixture
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large white onion diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or mixed cheese
Tater Tot Topping
- 1 800 grams bag of frozen Tater Tots
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 °F.
- In a large skillet, fry the onion in the oil until it is soft and translucent. Add in the ground beef, fry until completely cooked through. Drain the fat, mix the garlic. Fry until golden, around 2-3 minutes, then add some salt and pepper to taste and transfer to a 9x13 baking pan or oven safe pan of equivalent size.
- Combine the vegetables and the soup. Pour over top of the hamburger. Sprinkle the cheese on top evenly.
- Place the tater tots in an even layer on top of the soup mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until the tater tots on top are crispy and browned. Remove from the oven and serve.
- You can change up the soups that you use in the mixture if you are bold!
- You can also sprinkle MORE cheese on top at the end and let it melt in the oven if you wanted cheesy tater tot casserole.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.