You know how some recipes make me giggle, from the sheer delicious factor? Well, this recipe for Tater Tots Shepherd’s Pie is worth a minute or two of full-blown belly laughter.
Table of Contents
How to Make Tater Tot Shepherd’s Pie
This is one of those recipes that I have been meaning to make forever. I picked up a bag of Tater Tots – something that rarely graces my freezer because they are delicious and evil and addicting – and thought perhaps I would do a classic mushroom soup and Tater Tot casserole, something a friend suggested I try when I was craving my usual mushroom soup fix.
For some reason when I went to pull out the bag of Tater Tots, I had this irresistible urge to make Shepherd’s Pie with Tater Tots on top, instead of the mushroom soup concoction.
My son also wanted to make dinner that night and this was the perfect dinner for him to practice his budding culinary skills on. At ten he is more than capable of frying up the ground beef…
…and then placing the various layers. This is the kind of cooking that gets kids excited to be in the kitchen. You can then move on to *ahem* healthier dishes, but it’s all about getting that passion started!
Well done buddy!
Holy Dinah you guys, this is seriously everything awesome in one dish!
Kid friendly? Check, the kids loved it.
Comfort food? Oh yes, better than mashed potatoes on top, I kid you not!
Easy to make? Checkity check! It’s so fast and simple to put this together for supper!
I don’t think my family is ever going to let me make Shepherd’s Pie again with mashed potatoes on top and I’m not just saying that to be witty. They spent the entire dinner exclaiming over how good the tater tots were. I’m not actually sure my daughter had ever eaten them, to be honest, because she had no idea what they were.
Too late now, Pandora’s box has been opened and Tater Tots have entered our household.
For those of you who have asked, yes, a stoneware casserole dish is perfect for this and is what I use. Pretty, aren’t they?
So, how ready are you to make this? Are you on board with being crazy and giving this a try?
Happy cooking everyone!
Love you more than Tater Tots,
PIN THIS RECIPE to your DINNER RECIPES Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Tater Tot Shepherd’s Pie
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 30 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 kilogram one bag of frozen tater tots
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup white onion chopped
- 3 cups of frozen peas corn and carrots mix steamed until warm then drained
- 1 one package Shepherd’s pie mix seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a 9×13 casserole dish and set aside.
- Fry the ground beef and onion together until the beef is browned and no longer pink inside. Drain the grease (and rinse the beef if wanted to remove extra grease).
- Combine the seasoning mix with the amount of water listed on the package in the frying pan, add the Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 5-7 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Transfer the meat mixture to the 9×13 pan and spread out evenly on the bottom.
- Place the vegetables on top of the meat in an even layer.
- Take the tater tots and spread the entire bag out in an even layer on top of the vegetables.
- Cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until the tater tots are crispy brown and well cooked. (time may vary) Once the tater tots are cooked, sprinkle the cheese on top evenly and cook until the cheese is melted on top.
- Remove from the oven, serve and enjoy!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.