This is my favorite chili recipe, ever. I love a good chili and the chili that I love the most, is Tim Horton’s chili. I would really love to be able to perfect their chili, but the closest I have come is this chili recipe.
I inspected the chili at Timmy’s one day, and saw chunks of every imaginable vegetable possible in there. And perhaps some objects that were not readily identifiable as well.
So I copied the concept and put in everything but the kitchen sink.
I’m a huge fan of chili and my husband and kids absolutely love it. One of the key ingredients in a good chili is ketchup so it’s always important to include it if you want your chili to come out tasting delicious.
For this chili recipe, you also have the option of going with either beef or turkey, it’s completely up to you.
Also, while you are at it, print my Turkey Lasagna Soup recipe. Just trust me. You and your family (kids included) will freak out about it. It’s a phenomenal recipe.Print
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 yellow pepper
- 1/2 orange pepper
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1-2 cups of mushrooms
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of ketchup
- ground beef or turkey
- Cook in the oven at 300 for 2-3 hours or for 5-6 hours in the crock pot on high
- Dice up all your veggies.
- Combine the can of crushed tomatoes, and the two cans of rinsed beans into the crock pot, mix in the brown sugar, chili powder and ketchup.
- Then add those fabulous veggies on top.
- Fry up 1 1/2 lbs or so of ground beef/turkey. You cannot tell the difference between the two, and I prefer the turkey.
- If you want a vegetarian version, add another can of black beans instead. Or, be bold and try some other kind of beans.
- Add in the mushrooms and garlic if you haven’t already. Time to let it simmer, I don’t add water to the chili because the vegetables and mushrooms release out SO much liquid that you don’t need it. If you feel by the end that you do need water, go ahead and add some.
- Now when things are nice and soft, take about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of the chili, and puree it. This gives it a thicker, tastier base to it, more like the Tim’s chili. Add it back in, and continue to cook it for another 30 minutes or so.
- Serve with shredded cheese on top and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 8