This Homemade Shake and Bake Mix recipe is for my daughter, since it’s my daughters favourite type of chicken. This is an all natural ingredients and spices mix that has a little secret ingredient!
Once You Make This Homemade Shake and Bake Mix You’ll Never Buy It At The Store Again!
My Rose girl is why I came up with this shake and bake mix. She loves Shake and Bake chicken and the packages at the store have (used to have?) hydrogenated oil and ingredients in them. I love fooling around with package gravies and sauces, don’t get me wrong, but the entire family gets sick when we eat something with hydrogenated oil. Stomach sick. Needless to say we avoid it at all costs and we do a lot of label reading. So over the past years we just haven’t been eating Shake and Bake. That’s totally changed now!
Why Bother Making Homemade Shake and Bake Mix?
- Because there is usually partially hydrogenated soybean oil in the Shake and Bake at the store. Like I mentioned, we love to play around with packaged ingredients, but hydrogenated oil is almost always a deal breaker.
- It’s cheaper! It really is far more economical to make large batches of your own jar of homemade shake and bake rather than buying it at the store.
- Homemade Shake and Bake mix is more delicious. It really is. We are completely addicted to this now!
- It’s always on hand and you don’t have to run to the store. This to me is the best part!
Commonly asked Homemade Shake and Bake Questions
How Do I Store the Homemade Shake and Bake Once I Make it?
You are going to store it in a sealed jar in the fridge. I say the fridge because oil can go rancid on you and is even more likely to once you mix it with something. Oh, did I say oil? Yes I did! That’s the secret ingredient to this homemade shake and bake! NOT hydrogenated oil ( which is actually hydrogenated because it helps it have a longer shelf life) but simple canola oil. You can store this in the fridge for 2-3 weeks safely, the oil will keep just fine if it’s cold. It might even last longer as oil has a long shelf life but I can’t say for sure since you are combining it with other ingredients.
How do you make Shake and Bake crispy?
Oh you guys, the reason that this is the best homemade shake and bake mix is the OIL in it!!! That little bit of canola oil is going to make the crispiest homemade shake and bake ever! Do not skip it!
What is in Shake and Bake coating mix?
Shake and Bake was a lifesaver for our Moms and it’s no wonder that they loved it so much that it became a part of our childhoods. You threw the coating mix into a bag, shook around some pork chops or chicken and voila! You had dinner! However, let’s take a look at the ingredients.
- enriched wheat flour (wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate Vitamin B1, riboflavin (vitamin B2), folic acid)
- partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil
- contains less than 2% of paprika, dextrose, dried onions, spice, caramel color, yeast, annatto (color), and natural flavor.
NO. You guys, just take a look at my recipe below. Like I say, I love pre-packaged goods just like the next person but anything hydrogenated is GROSS . This honestly is so easy to make and is so delicious!
Tips & Tricks for Making Homemade Shake and Bake
- You will find that after one batch you will be able to adjust the seasonings to your own liking. I know that my Dad would love more garlic in this, so he would double it for sure.
- You can leave out the table salt and only use the celery salt. If you are completely low sodium, leave both out entirely. You can sub in ½ tsp of ground celery seed instead! This is a great low-sodium chicken recipe, it’s literally PACKED with flavour and you can leave all the salt out!
- Don’t skip the oil. That’s the secret to this making AMAZING chicken. Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside and that chicken skin? The crunch? It’s the best I’ve ever made.
- Make sure to use cold pressed canola oil. That method doesn’t use any chemicals and you are left with a healthy canola oil!
If you are looking for other how-to’s try these ones:
Happy cooking! Now, go forth and make a batch of homemade shake and bake and keep it in the fridge!
Pin This To Your Supper Ideas Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
How to Make Homemade Shake and Bake
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Total Time
- 5 minutes
- 20 pieces of chicken
- Karlynn Johnston
- one 227 grams box of Panko bread crumbs finely crushed
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2-3 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons canola oil cold pressed
- Combine all ingredients into a large plastic bag that seals. Seal the bag and shake the ingredients until combined.Use for chicken and pork!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.