This has got to be one of my favorite cocktails and it’s all thanks to Jörg Meyer who owns Le Lion in Hamburg. Jörg created this masterpiece back in 2008 after being inspired by the Whisky Smash (also a great cocktail by a guy called Dale DeGroff!). The Gin Basil Smash is basically an alternative take on the gin mojito that swaps the mint for muddled basil, but it’s definitely in a league of its own. This gin sensation even won the 2008 Tales of the Cocktail Spirited Awards (now that’s an award show I’d love to go to!).
Also, let’s not forget that basil is a vegetable, so technically this counts as one of your five a day… right?!
How to Make a Gin Basil Smash
- Combine the basil, syrup, lemon juice in a cocktail shaker.
- Crush the basil until bruised.
- Pour in the gin and ice cubes and place the lid on the shaker.
- Shake until the outside of the shaker gets freezing cold.
- Strain into a tall cocktail glass, add some more ice on top, and drink up!
Tips and Tricks For Making Gin Basil Smash
- If you want a more intense flavor, you can blend the sugar syrup and basil instead of muddling. This will give you a super refreshing drink. Just make sure to double-strain.
- If you want to experiment a bit, add some fresh blackberries for a Blackberry Gin Basil Smash! Just muddle the blackberries with honey until jammy before continuing with the rest of the recipe instructions.
- If you have any leftover syrup, you can keep it in the refrigerator for a week before it goes off. I like to use it for making sodas!
More Gin-Based Cocktails to Try:
Here a few of my favorite gin cocktails.
Tangerine & Gin: this is definitely one for the tangerine lovers!
Sloe Gin Fizz Recipe: simple and delicious- this one goes down way too easily!
Gin Swizzle Recipe: easy to make and seriously refreshing!
Blueberry Mint Gin Fizz: this summery drink tastes just as good as it looks!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your COCKTAIL RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
How To Make a Gin Basil Smash
- Prep Time
- 3 minutes
- Total Time
- 3 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 10 leaves fresh basil
- 2 ounces simple syrup
- 2 ounces lemon juice
- 4 ounces good quality gin
- ice cubes
- Combine basil leaves, simple syrup and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker.Crush the basil till bruised with a muddler, which will release the oils. The juice might start to turn green, this is ok!
- Pour in the gin and ice cubes, place lid on top of the shaker.
- Shake the container until the outside of the cocktail shaker is freezing cold.This is how you know the drink is cold enough!
- Strain into a tall cocktail glass, add additional ice to the top and enjoy!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.