Karma karma karma karma karma chameleon …
You come and go, you come and go…
Loving would be easy if your colors were like my dream….
Red gold and green, red gold and green…
Well hello there friends, it’s time to head back to the 1980’s. When drinks were terrible and music was …..um….let’s not go there. Where we will go, is straight to a cocktail that is SO representative of the 1980’s.
The 80’s were a terrible, terrible time for the cocktail scene. Bartenders threw various fruit juices into glasses and splashed random liquor in them. If you do any reading, you’ll see that the 80’s was a dark, dismal time for cocktails,even though orange juice was the most popular mix. I suspect that cocaine took precedence over a good cocktail, to be honest.
I had never, ever heard of this cake before I was looking up retro cakes for my Rhinestone Cowboy party. I was intrigued on many levels but mainly because I had never tried Galliano liqueur before and this cake bases it’s boozy taste on a copious amount. We had made some Harvey Wallbangers as a punch for the party and I wanted the cake to match.
The cocktail itself is ok, I am not a fan of orange juice based cocktails but it’s ok.
The Harvey Wallbanger Cake?
So good that after my party there wasn’t even a crumb left for me to photograph, so we decided it was time for a photoshoot and a video shoot as well!
If you don’t like a super boozy cake, then you can switch some of the Galliano or vodka out for more orange juice. You can tell right away this this is a boozy cake, it makes no apologies, just like a rum cake!
Which is also coming soon as I have the BEST rum cake recipe ever from an old co-worker of Mr Magpie’s!
Happy baking babes!
This retro Harvey Wallbanger cake is a blast from the past and REALLY boozy! You have to like boozy to like this! If you want to change it up, replace some of the Galliano with orange juice to lessen the boozy taste. ( but why would you want to?)
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 fluid ounces Galliano liqueur( 4 shots!)
- 1 fluid ounce vodka ( 1 shot)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 fl.ounce Galliano
- 1 fl. ounce vodka
- 1 cup powdered sugar, icing sugar or AKA confectioners’ sugar
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a standard bundt pan. ( 10 cup capacity)
- Combine all of the cake ingredients into a large bowl then beat with a mixer until smooth and thick, about two minutes.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove and cool in the pan for 5 minutes then invert onto plate.
- Whisk together the glaze ingredients until smooth.
- Poke holes in the top of the cake and then pour the glaze over the still warm cake.
- Eat and enjoy!