Nothing beats homemade garlic butter, especially when it’s spread on some good old Texas toast and magically transformed into garlic bread! This recipe is so easy to customize with ingredients that you have on hand.
While it’s better with fresh herbs, you don’t have to use them if you can’t get them (which everyone is having a problem with lately) so dried works great as well!
Homemade Garlic Butter
Garlic butter is easy to make and there are many ways you can mix it up flavor-wise by adding additional ingredients. There is no reason to have to buy garlic butter at the store – I just saw a stick (that’s a quarter cup!) of garlic butter for $4.50 at the store. WHAT!? Not a chance I am paying that when homemade is so easy to make! You can also try this with roasted garlic, just follow my directions on how to roast garlic.
This is so simple to make! You add everything into a bowl and mix it up!
- salted butter (if you can find sea salt butter it’s amazing)
- garlic (fresh is the best if you can find it)
- chives or onion powder
Substitutions Using Dried Ingredients
It is not easy finding everything fresh lately, so for this recipe I used onion powder instead of fresh chives because I wasn’t able to find any. If you can’t order fresh, there are dried substitutions for all the ingredients:
- use garlic powder instead of fresh garlic
- use onion powder or freeze-dried chives instead of fresh chives
- use dried or freeze-dried parsley instead of fresh parsley
Delicious Additions to your Garlic Butter
There are people that like plain garlic butter, and those who want to fancy it up. If you are on the fancy side of things, try adding:
- Parmesan cheese flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- red pepper flakes for a spicy heat
- Italian seasoning ( this works great if you are using the garlic butter on toast to eat with tomato-based pasta, like my bolognese sauce, Instant Pot spaghetti, or even my slow cooker baked ziti.)
Try this on my Instant Pot mashed potatoes for a real treat!
And there you go! No paying $4.50 for a stick of garlic butter even again! Hope you enjoy it!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your Sauces/Condiments Recipes Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
This easy homemade garlic butter is only 4 ingredients and takes 5 minutes to make at home! You'll never use storebought again!
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 cup salted butter softened ( if you can find sea salt butter even better!)
- 3 large garlic cloves smashed flat then minced finely
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh chives minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper optional
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
Combine all of the ingredients together in a bowl.
Use to make garlic toast, on hot pasta, or your mashed potatoes and more!
- Each serving is one tablespoon of the mixture.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.