This Easy Hash brown Casserole was the second casserole we made for breakfast when the family was up for Thanksgiving, and it was an absolute hit. I am not allowed to tweak it, mess with it or otherwise change a single thing, it was declared perfect as is. And it was really, really tasty, so I guess I can leave it alone. For now.
The lovely thing about a good, easy hash brown casserole is that the recipe itself is so easy to tweak. You can add broccoli or other steamed vegetables to it ( mushrooms are my favourite!) cooked ham or ( and!) bacon, the options are endless. And let’s face it: no one wants to do complicated when it comes to hash brown casseroles.
It’s it’s not an easy hash brown casserole, then there’s no point. Who wants fancy when you are most likely making this for a holiday breakfast?
Hope you enjoy it!
Pin this recipe to your BREAKFAST IDEAS or HOLIDAY RECIPES boards!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Easy Hashbrown Casserole
- Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- Cook Time
- 45 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour 5 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 kg frozen hashbrowns
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup steamed broccoli
- 1 cup of diced ham or cooked bacon
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 1 1/2 cup of shredded cheese
- seasoning salt
- Take your bag of still frozen hashbrowns and crack in an egg. If you want, you can add another one to make it slightly more eggy-ish. Mix in the egg and some seasoning salt, 1 tsp or so.
- Slice your bacon up and throw it into a frying pan to sizzle.
While your bacon is cooking, press your hashbrown mixture into a well greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, until it's beautifully browned.
Slice the mushrooms, then micro-steam them quickly and drain the water out. ( place in a microwave safe dish, add some water, steam for 3-4 minutes to shrink them)
- Drain your now done bacon.
- Mix the mushrooms, bacon and green onions in a large bowl.
- Crack in 7 eggs, the milk and add the shredded cheese, mix together.
- So after the 20 minutes in the oven, the hash brown crust should look golden brown.
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the crust.
- Bake for about 15- 20 minutes in the 400 degree oven, until the eggs are cooked. Slice in squares and serve.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.