Every Tuesday the kids have piano and voice lessons right after school and every Tuesday I bake them up a hearty muffin or a new cookie recipe to munch on while on our way. They are starving jackals after school and I fear for my very life if I don't come armed with, well, basically a “first supper” for them. My little Hobbits need a first supper before their second supper with Dad apparently.
This week I was inspired by the gorgeous organic apples I picked up at Superstore, juicy, crunchy and tasty beyond belief. What a joy it is to experience that in the middle of winter!
I made these dairy free and they turned out fabulous. Sometimes when you are using alternative milks, baking gets too chewy. That's the only word I can use to describe it. I used almond milk in these and there was no chewy factor to be found, thankfully! The Becel vegan margarine is perfect as well and I was pleasantly surprised that the streusel came out so delicious using it! Just make sure to keep it cold and it will bake up lovely!
The kids are absolutely enthralled with the parchment muffin liners that I used for these and I agree. When you are baking up a muffin with a messing topping, having parchment cups that fold out in a square to catch all the crumbs that inevitably fall is a blessing!
Plus, they make my muffins look oh-so-gorgeous!
Hope you enjoy them as much as we have this week!
On An Apple Love Kick Magpie
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
Dairy Free Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 15 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 3/4 cup white flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup melted Vegan margarine
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 2 apples peeled cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup of vegan margarine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Whisk together all your dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine your egg, vegan margarine & almond milk in a measuring cup.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients, combining thoroughly.
- Add in your prepared apples and mix in.
- Divide the batter evenly between 12 muffin cups, liners work best with these muffins.
- Take all of your streusel ingredients and mix together, make sure your vegan margarine is cold.
- Use a fork to combine and make it as crumbly as possible.Top the muffins with the streusel mixture, using it all on the 12 muffins. Don't worry, it looks like a lot but it bakes up perfectly!
- Bake at 375 for 15-18 minutes, until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean,
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.