I saw this coming, did you? I knew that I was totally going to try GRAPE JAM in a new version of my raspberry coconut bars. Grape Jam Coconut Bars. Heck to the YES! Why is grape jam ignored so much? It’s rarely the first to go in restaurants, everyone is always going for the raspberry or strawberry. It’s almost never used in bars or squares in desserts.
Why the no love for grape jam? Let these squares be the one thing that has you buying a jar of grape jelly. You can use it for these squares and then enjoy it on your toast. That’s what we have been doing. I admit it, we ignore grape jam in my house as well. If I hadn’t actually had a hankering for these squares, I am ashamed to admit that I still wouldn’t have a jar of grape jam in the fridge.
Now, these jam bars squares are seriously delicious. Bake them up, freeze them for company and enjoy them. They are such a NEW taste, does that make sense? New. No one really uses grape jam in bars, so these are an unexpected treat! The real question is, where do YOU stand on grape jelly? Is it something that is in your fridge on a regular basis or are you like me and will buy it for these bars and then enjoy it for a while…and forget it again?
Poor grape jam.
Happy baking babes!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your DESSERT RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Learn to cook like the Kitchen Magpie
Flapper Pie and a Blue Prairie Sky
A Modern Baker’s Guide to Old-Fashioned Desserts
The Prairie Table
Suppers, Potlucks & Socials: Crowd-Pleasing Recipes to Bring People Together
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Coconut Grape jam Bars
- Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- Cook Time
- 45 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour 5 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup grape jelly of choice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 or 9x9 pan and set aside.
- Mix the flour and sugar together, then cut in the butter with a pastry cutter until crust mixture resembles crumbs. Pat the crust evenly into bottom of the baking dish.
- Bake the crust in the oven for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- Spread the grape jam over the crust.
- Mix the topping ingredients together until there are no lumps and spread evenly over the top. Return to oven. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the filling is firm and set.
- Remove and cool completely.
- Cool, then slice and serve! These freeze exceptionally well.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Made this recipe?
Share a photo of what you made on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @thekitchenmagpie or hashtag it #thekitchenmagpie.
Please rate this recipe in the comments below to help out your fellow cooks!
Comments & Recipe Tips Share a tip or comment!
Barbara Bolling says
Definitely going to try these. Thanks! We always have grape jelly because it’s the only kind my grandson likes and he would starve if not for p.b. & j’s!
Barb B says
Wonder what this would be like with a layer of peanut butter before the jam? Then the coconut as usual.. hmmm might have to try it.