A classic, simple dish, chicken divan is an easy-to-make mix of chicken and broccoli in a tasty, creamy sauce. This recipe takes a few cheat steps to get you all of the flavors you want without having to put in a ton of time as well.
Table of Contents
Classic Chicken Divan
The key ingredients for this chicken divan recipe are using a rotisserie chicken and some cans of condensed soup.
Not only does this save a lot of time, but they are also packed with tons of readymade flavor that give you everything you need to make a delicious chicken divan at home in less than an hour.
Classic Chicken Divan Ingredients
Don’t forget to investigate the recipe card at the very bottom of the page for the full amounts needed.
- Broccoli florets
- Rotisserie chicken
- White onion
- Can of condensed cream of chicken soup
- Can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Garlic powder
- Dried Parsley
How to Make Classic Chicken Divan
- Grease a 9×13 pan
- Steam the broccoli in the microwave for 4 minutes until tender-crisp
- Put the broccoli and the chicken together in a large bowl
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan and then sauté the onion until soft and translucent
- Add in the garlic and sauté until fragrant
- Stir in the soups, milk, sour cream, and one cup of the cheese, seasoning to taste
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli and mix well
- Spoon mixture onto prepared pan and top with remaining cheese
- Combine all Panko topping ingredients together and sprinkle over the casserole in an even layer
- Bake at 400 Fahrenheit until heated through and bubbling; the top should be browned and crisp
- Cool for 5 minutes, and then serve over rice or pasta
Buttery Panko Breadcrumb Topping
The best way to get a crispy and crunchy topping for this recipe is to use Panko breadcrumbs when mixing it.
Panko breadcrumbs are those really crisp, irregularly shaped breadcrumbs you can find in your local grocery store. Without going into the surprisingly complex specifics, Panko breadcrumbs are made by cooking bread using electrical current, which is then ground to make fine slivers of really crispy crumbs.
You can certainly use any breadcrumbs you like, but using Panko is going to give you the absolute best flavor.
Why the Rotisserie Chicken & Cans of Condensed Soup?
The use of condensed soup in this recipe is a bit of a classic step, and heralds from the 1950s when using cans of condensed soup was all the rage.
However, it isn’t just a classical throwback in this recipe, but an incredibly simple step that massively amplifies all of the flavors.
By using both chicken and mushroom soup, you get plenty of rich, savory umami flavors without having to spend hours and hours mixing and making your own soups.
The use of a rotisserie chicken really just ties the whole thing together. It is impossible to replicate the taste of a rotisserie chicken at home, and using it in this recipe gives you all of that delectable, salty chicken quality without having to roast and cool your own chicken.
Looking for more tasty Chicken recipes? Try these out:
Enjoy! This was a hit with the whole family, and while I couldn’t eat the broccoli, the sauce and the chicken was amazing!! (man, I miss broccoli….)
Pin this to your DINNER Recipes Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Learn to cook like the Kitchen Magpie
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you’ll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
- Prep Time
- 25 minutes
- Cook Time
- 25 minutes
- Main Course
- Karlynn Johnston
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets chopped into bite sized pieces
- 4 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 small white onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- one 10 1/2 ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
- one 10 1/2 ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- Preheat your oven to 400 °F. Grease a 9×13 pan and set aside.
- Steam the broccoli in the microwave for 4 minutes, until tender crisp. Remove and drain well.
- Place the broccoli and chicken into a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a medium sized saucepan. Sauté the onion until soft and translucent. Add in the garlic, sauté until fragrant, around 2 minutes.
- Stir in the soups, the milk, the sour cream and 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli and mix well.
- Spoon out the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Top with the remaining cheese.
- Combine the ingredients of the panko topping together completely.
- Sprinkle over the top of the casserole in an even layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes OR until the mixture is heated and bubbling through. The topping should be brown and crispy.
- Remove and let cool for 5 minutes, then serve over rice or pasta.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.