This Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe will become a new favourite for your family! It's so easy and decadent to make!
Bread and Butter Pudding is breakfast or dessert!
*Time Warning. This dish has to sit for 2 hours in the fridge after preparing it.*
I would like to announce that this recipe is from the bag of a Presidents Choice bag of Texas style raisin bread and I have had it for years now. I have it cut out, this crazy, wonky little plastic piece of floppy recipe, and am translating it for you here.
Let me assure you, that following a recipe from a bread bag is one of the more challenging things I have tried. It crinkles. It wrinkles. Your husband tries to clean it up and throw it in the recycling, which has the consequence of you shrieking like a harpy “If I don't find that blasted plastic bag, none of you are getting dessert tonight!” Which, in my house, was taken as a very serious threat and the bag was immediately produced.
The directions on my piece of plastic say “arrange in prepared dish, overlapping them so they look like one layer”.
So. Does this look like one layer to you? It did to me. Seriously. It took me a good 10 minutes of cursing under my breath to figure it out. Overlapping…yet one layer…one…layer overlapping…
This was a really good bread pudding, without a doubt. My son gave me rave reviews, “Mom, you make the best desserts ever!” when he tasted this one. It isn't as sweet as one would suppose. Rich, but not sweet. You can also *ahem* add a little more of that butterscotch sauce on top when serving, for that extra little zing. I might also add a lot more while cooking it, as you can see in the video. With the small amount of sugar that is in the actual bread and butter pudding part, you can do a little crazy on top.
Bread & Butter Pudding Recipe Tips & Tricks
- This recipe is better if you leave it overnight but sometimes you just want it the same day. Make it in the morning and then wrap it up, refrigerate it and make it for dessert after dinner.
- You can skip the homemade caramel sauce and use maple syrup instead for a time saving delicious new twist!
- Looking for another pudding recipe? Try my Five Roses Rice Pudding! It's amazing!
I might also like to top it with whipped cream or ice cream. I'll admit nothing. If you are wanting another recipe that doubles as breakfast, try my Scone Recipe: The Best Scones Ever They are our favourite breakfast ever!
Happy Baking babes! This one's a keeper!
Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe
Decadent and delicious bread and butter pudding using raisin bread that has caramel sauce drizzled over it. I think we can call this breakfast!
- 6 tbsp butter
- 12 slices of cinnamon raisin toast (Texas toast thickness)
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups 10% cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
Caramel Sauce ( double or triple if you want some for topping later)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter (melted)
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Grease an 8×8 pan and set aside.
- Remove the crusts from the bread and butter one side of the bread. Arrange the slices in the pan overlapping each other, like shown in the photo above. You will fit 6 on each side, slightly overlapping each other.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients for the filling and pour over the bread, letting it soak in slowly.
- To make the caramel sauce, place the ingredients into a microwave safe measuring cup and mix. Microwave on high for 30 seconds and stir to make sure there are no lumps. Microwave for another 15-30 seconds, stir and remove.
- Pour over the top of the bread pudding.
- Wrap the pan and place in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight, if wanted for breakfast.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Bake the bread and butter pudding in the oven for 50-60 minutes, until the interior is cooked and a knife inserted comes out clean ( I like to test that it's at least 165 °F in there to make sure the eggs are safely cooked.) The top will be browned and puffy and delicious looking!
- Remove and slice and serve with extra sauce, maple syrup, whatever your heart desires.
If you want more caramel sauce it doubles, or triples or quadruples excellently! This is great for breakfast if you take it easy on the caramel sauce. Who am I kidding, it's fine as it is.