Braised beef short ribs are the perfect companion for mashed potatoes or rice and due to the slow cooked nature of this recipe, they are fall off the bone delicious! I’ve included instructions for every type of cooking; whether it be stove-top, oven baked, Instant Pot or slow cooker, I’ve got you covered!
Braised Beef Short Ribs
Braised beef short ribs are basically beef short ribs that are roasted in a pot on the stove-top, typically in red wine or a similar liquid. For this recipe, I use a base of red wine and beef stock and brown the beef in bacon fat. This is a very traditional French way of making short ribs, made famous by the ever amazing Julia Child!
What is Braising?
Braising is the act of searing meat on a stove-top and then simmering it slowly in liquid in a covered pot until thoroughly cooked.
How to Make Braised Beef Short Ribs
This recipe was initially made using only the stove-top but there are many other ways to make braised beef short ribs.
To cook in the oven, simply place them in the oven at 350 degrees for 4-5 hours as opposed to covering them and simmering them on the stove-top.
Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker
For the Instant Pot, press the saute button and follow the exact same steps right up until step #6 where you will close and cook on High Pressure for 45 minutes, then naturally release for 15 minutes. When using a pressure cooker, be sure to follow the manufacturers instructions when sealing and opening your pressure cooker.
Slow Cooker / Crock-Pot
For the slow cooker, follow all of the preparation steps and then transfer to the slow cooker and cook for approximately 5-6 hours on high, or 8-9 hours on low.
How to Serve your Braised Beef Short Ribs
These beef short ribs go well with all kinds of side dishes such as mashed potatoes; rice and more. Here are a few side dish ideas to cook with them to serve up the perfect family meal! The perfect companion for these is my Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes but here are some other ideas to try:
- Absolute Best Ever Twice Baked Potatoes
- How to Microwave Corn on the Cob
- Rosemary Garlic Smashed Potatoes
PIN THIS RECIPE to your Dinner Recipes Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
Braised Beef Short Ribs
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 3 hours
- Total Time
- 3 hours 15 minutes
- Main Course
- Karlynn Johnston
- 4 large Beef short ribs or 8 smaller ones
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4-6 slices thick cut bacon or pancetta sliced in chunks
- 1/4 cup white onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups red wine on the dry side
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- Whisk together the flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Dredge the short ribs through the flour until covered completely.
- Take the bacon and place it into a large oven safe braising pan or similar Dutch oven. Fry until the grease is rendered out and the bacon is soft and cooked. Remove the bacon and set on a plate with paper towels to drain.
- Fry the flour coated ribs up it the bacon grease until they are browned on the outside. Set aside on a plate.
- Cook the white onion in the bacon grease until it's cooked through and tender. Drain the bacon grease. Add in the minced garlic and fry for another two minutes until browned and fragrant.
- Deglaze the pan by adding in a small amount of wine, scraping the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Once done, add in the remaining wine, bay leaves, the beef broth, the bacon and the short ribs.
- Cover and simmer for 3 hours on low heat or place in 350 degree oven and cook for 4-5 hours.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.