Everyone loves chicken wings, but nowhere near enough people have tried turkey wings for themselves. Tender, meaty and delicious, making some baked turkey wings at home is super easy once you know how!
Table of Contents
- Baked Turkey Wings
- Baked Turkey Wings Ingredients
- How To Make Baked Turkey Wings
- Where To Get Chicken Or Turkey Broth For This Recipe
- How Will These Turkey Wings Be Different From Regular Chicken Wings?
- Pin This Recipe To Your DINNER Recipes Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
- Baked Turkey Wings Recipe
Baked Turkey Wings
Turkey wings are usually the kind of thing that people don’t think about when they are eating. They are just sort of becoming an afterthought when tackling the dark meat on their roast turkey.
However, with a little bit of preparation and the extra time to get the turkey wings really tender in the oven, turkey wings can be just as good as chicken wings.
Just don’t go expecting the same tenderness or crispiness that you would get with chicken wings. Turkey wings are decidedly more meaty and rich in flavor, and they are a little bit hard to get crispy.
However, with the right seasoning blend, you won’t even mind!
Baked Turkey Wings Ingredients
Make sure you look at the recipe card at the very bottom for the exact amounts so that you know exactly what to buy for this recipe.
• Turkey wings
• Olive oil
• Chicken (or Turkey) broth
• Turkey Seasoning
How To Make Baked Turkey Wings
• Oil a 9×13 baking dish
• Clean the turkey wings, removing any feathers or weird bits
• Place the wings into a mixing bowl and drizzle the oil all over them
• Rub the oil onto the wings, and then sprinkle the seasoning onto the wings from all sides
• Place the turkey wings into the greased dish and pour broth into the bottom of the pan
• Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for around 2 hours at 350 Fahrenheit
Where To Get Chicken Or Turkey Broth For This Recipe
Unlike when making regular chicken wings, you need to add a little bit of chicken or turkey broth into the bottom of the pan to help encourage more flavor, plus a better rendering of the turkey fat and even cooking of the wings.
To source the broth, you have two options; you could either simply buy it, or you could make it yourself.
Most supermarkets will carry chicken or turkey stock, but if you can, try and get the ones that come in a carton, rather than the type made from a gelatin or concentrated stock. The carton ones have a lot more flavor in them and really help to ramp up the flavor of your wings.
However, if you want to make it yourself, you just need to break down a chicken or turkey to make it. If you got a cheap, discounted turkey to play around with, you could use the whole bird to make stock and snip the wings off and use them for this recipe!
However, no matter what you do, make sure that you try and get a hold of and use some poultry necks. Alongside the spines, the necks of chickens and turkeys are packed with tons of flavor and collagen and help to make the perfect stock.
How Will These Turkey Wings Be Different From Regular Chicken Wings?
For those that have really only eaten chicken wings before, you might be in for a bit of a surprise when it comes to the actual flavor of these wings.
Unlike chicken wings, which tend to turn crispy and a little bit fall apart in texture, turkey wings are a bit more like regular turkey dark meat.
While they do still have plenty of tasty fat and collagen to nibble on and render out when baking for the purpose of making a really tasty wing, the flavor is going to be a lot closer to a turkey thigh than a chicken wing.
Make sure that you temper your expectations a bit, as they won’t really be super crispy.
However, if you were looking to add crispiness, you could always attempt to deep fry or otherwise crisp up your turkey wings for the purpose of heightening their flavor and texture.
Just make sure that you give them enough time in the heat to ensure that they properly cook and render their fat, as they will otherwise be pretty tough.
Looking for more delicious Turkey recipes? Try these out:
Pin This Recipe To Your DINNER Recipes Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Baked Turkey Wings
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 1 hour 30 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 2.5 lbs turkey wings (cut into sections if whole)
- 3 tbsp olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 1 batch Turkey Seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 350°
- Oil a 9×13 baking dish. Set aside.
- Clean the turkey wings removing any feathers etc.
- Place the wings into a mixing bowl and drizzle the olive oil over them. Rub the olive oil onto the wings.
- Sprinkle the turkey seasoning onto the wings on all sides.
- Place the turkey wings into the greased dish.
- Pour the broth into the bottom of the pan being careful not to wash the seasoning off of the wings.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 1.5 hours.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.