These Rolo cookies have been around since the 1980′s, minimum. In fact, they were a hot product of the 80′s because my mom has been making these since I was a kid and she tended to pick up on the food trends back then and bake up a storm. In the 80′s. Don’t bother with the math, I’ll just tell you that it means I am twenty nine. Twenty nine celebrated quite a few times now.
In all seriousness, I haven’t had them in years now, cookie trends seem to come and go and I’m a’ thinking it’s definitely time this one came back. There is so much deliciousness going on in these cookies that one can barely take it.
- 2½ cups of flour
- ¾ cups of unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup of brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup of butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 24-36 Rolo candies (depends on how big you make the cookies)
- 1 cup of pecans, chopped
- 2 tbsp of white sugar
- Whisk flour, cocoa & baking soda together completely.
- In a large mixer bowl with your paddle attachment, beat the sugars & butter until light & fluffy.
- Add vanilla & eggs. Beat well.
- Add the flour mixture slowly and blend well.
- Combine pecans & remaining sugar in a small bowl..
- Wrap about 2 tablespoons of cookie dough completely around 1 Rolo candy.
- Roll the cookie ball in the pecan mixture.
- Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet at least 1.5 inches apart.
- Bake 14-16 minutes at 375 degrees F.
- Cool on tray for at least 5 minutes so the Rolo inside the cookie sets a bit.
- Move to cooling rack and cook completely. Or try warm if you are like me and impatient.
Now we all know how much I hate ugly stuffed cookies. Ones that have lumps and bumps and look all ugly just so you can have a “stuffed” cookie.
These made me happy.
These are not ugly stuffed cookies. They are fabulous!
With the caramel chocolate interior and the toasted pecan exterior, these are some seriously decadent cookies. I can’t believe I haven’t made them before this but man, did memories of my mom making these ever come flooding back!
So trust me, go back to the 80′s on a taste trip of delight with these babies!
Now If Only I Could Have My Legwarmers Back Magpie