Raise your hands if you are a walnut lovin’ guy or gal.
*Raises her own hand and waves it wildly*
These chunky chocolate chip cookies are loaded to the brim with old-fashioned walnut goodness and it was completely a self-indulgent move.
I love, love LOVE walnuts in cookies.
Mr Magpie hates, hates HATES walnuts in cookies.
And yet, we stay married, even if we happen to argue about how to make the best chunky chocolate chip cookies.
You say no walnut, I say too bad, we’re having walnuts.
Let’s face it, if he wants to make his own chunky chocolate chip cookies, he can bake them with no walnuts, right?
Actually, Mr Magpie is a pretty good cookie baker himself and has totally baked cookies when he has a sweet tooth going on. This is usually late at night when I don’t feel like baking.
AND to be honest, this is the first time in years that I’ve been a rebel and made cookies with walnuts in them. I tend not to bake things just for me and I knew that Mr Magpie was going ice fishing so I sent two types of cookies, walnutted and un-walnutted.
The kids will eat any type of chocolate chip cookie that I put in front of them.
Skinny chocolate chip cookie, chunky chocolate chip cookie, they don’t care because it’s a CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE.
These can’t be taken in school lunches because of the no-nut policy at school, but these were baked to try, and then send out the door for hungry ice fishermen, not for school.
So, who is on board with me when it comes to walnuts in cookies?
Walnuts in general?
I love walnuts in a chocolate chip cookie, there’s something so old-fashioned about the taste. Walnuts used to be in everything since they were plentiful “back in the day”. Now we are so lucky to have almost endless varieties of nuts that walnuts are often overlooked.
A tip as well, for making these beauties, make sure to under-bake them so that you get a nice soft, chewy inside as well. And if you take a gander at the photo above, you will see that I use my ice cream cookie scoop for the cookies. Yes, these are big cookies! You can make them small, but if you want chunky chocolate chip cookies, then this is a great way to achieve that!
Happy Baking babes!
Love you more than walnuts!
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Place parchment paper on baking sheets and set aside.
- Cream together your butter and sugar until it’s light and fluffy. Add in the eggs and vanilla, mixing thoroughly. Beat in the flour, baking soda and salt.
- When that is done, fold in the two cups of chocolate chips and the walnuts by hand.
- Drop by ice cream scoop onto the parchment lined sheets. Do not flatten!
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown and slightly underdone. Once baked, flatten slightly ( unless they flattened during baking) Cool on the sheets completely
- Serving Size: 24
Nutritional information is only an estimate. Actual nutritional numbers will vary due to cooking methods, your ingredient measurements and brands of products used.