This turkey lasagna soup is amazing.
This soup (stew?) was whipped up on one weekend of chaos. My friend came up for the weekend with her girls and the house was a whirl of shrieking kids, the dog barking with joy and the cat hiding in my room to avoid the aforementioned kids and dog. The noise in my house had reached sonic boom level. The adults were trying to get ready to go out for a fancy dinner and I had known I would have to feed the masses lunch at one point that day.
The masses were fed. The masses were entirely satisfied with this soup.
Sometimes I feel that I just don’t have the words to describe how awesome a recipe is and this is one of those times. I can tell you that I wondered why I ever bothered eating lasagna in its solid form. I can tell you that the cheese + lasagna noodles + rich Italian flavored base = heaven in a bowl. Words like hearty, soul satisfying and comfort food also pop into my mind.
You’re just going to have to make it and try it for yourself, I think.
Now it really is more like a stew, or a deconstructed lasagna rather than a soup with a light broth.
It’s heavy, with barely any broth to it. If you wanted, you can certainly up the broth to seven cups instead of six, see what it’s like at the end and decide.
Holy Dinah, lookit that cheese. Doesn’t that make you just sigh with delight?
So my loves, put this on your menu this week. I mean it. Make it. Sometimes I can be incredibly bossy and this is one of those times, do not skip this recipe. If you want you can sub in ground beef but there is something bang on perfect about the turkey in this recipe, plus it’s a little bit healthier for you.
You can also sub in white pasta noodles instead of whole wheat (but there is something so toothsome and right about those whole wheat noodles in a soup) and use low-fat cheese if you like. Feel free to play around with it.
Here’s my new video showing how to do so quickly and easily (part of my new series, The Kitchen Magpie Cooks! on YouTube)
Happy cooking everyone! Let me know what you think!
- 1 lb . ground turkey
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups strong chicken broth (for a thinner soup add 7-8 cups)
- 1 oz can diced tomatoes 28
- 1 oz can tomato paste 12.5
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1-2 tsp white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp vegetable seasoning
- 8 pieces whole wheat lasagna noodles broken into bite sized
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- Combine all of the ingredients excepting the noodles and mozza cheese into a large crockpot.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Around 40 minutes before serving, add in the lasagna noodles. Cook until tender.
- Ladle into bowls and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Serving Size: 8