The Salty Dog is a cocktail that couldn’t fit better into this glass. The pirate ship glasses match it perfectly. It’s a popular cocktail that is quick, easy to make and delicious to drink.
What is a Salty Dog?
Essentially, the Salty Dog is a Greyhound Cocktail, the only difference between it and the Greyhound, in fact, is that the Salty Dog has a salted rim. If you aren’t familiar with a Greyhound, click the link to see the recipe. IF you want another gin classic you have to try the Aviation cocktail!
How to Make a Salty Dog
This cocktail is very easy to make and only requires three ingredients which I’ve listed below.
- Vodka or Gin
- Grapefruit Juice
- Salt for the rim (I recommend sea salt flakes)
- Dip the rim of your tall cocktail glass into some liquid honey (or use your finger to apply it lightly to the rim of the glass.
- Once the honey has been applied, pour some sea salt flakes onto a small plate and dip the glass into the salt. The honey should cause it to stick to the rim as pictured here.
- Combine the vodka (or gin) and grapefruit juice in a Boston Shaker or equivalent and shake with ice until cold to the touch.
- Pour into a tall cocktail glass such as the one pictured in this post.
- Add ice as desired.
Now, you are probably wondering where I got these amazing glasses from. these vintage pirate ship glasses were picked up during a visit to a local thrift store and as soon as I saw the pirate ships, I knew they’d be perfect for a cocktail such as the Salty Dog.
You’d be surprised how many glasses like these end up at thrift stores and if you can’t find them there, you’ll often find them at antique malls although these particular ones may be a bit tough to locate.
I also have some exceptional pirate glasses which you can see in the White Russian recipe (they also come in Pilsner size, which I have as well).
Other Cocktails to Try
Here are some other cocktails and drinks to try:
I hope you enjoy the cocktail and remember to drink safely!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your COCKTAIL RECIPES Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
The Salty Dog
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Total Time
- 5 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1.5 ounces gin or vodka
- 3 ounces grapefruit juice
- 3 teaspoon sea salt for rim
- Using liquid honey, coat the rim of the glass and dip into sea salt being sure to coat the entire rim.
- Combine gin (or vodka) and grapefruit juice in a shaker with ice and shake until cold.
- Pour into cocktail glass and add ice as desired.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.