The Greyhound Cocktail is one of the easiest (and tastiest) cocktails you can make. Check out the recipe below! The Classic Greyhound Cocktail has to be one of the easiest drinks to make. It’s so simple but so delicious that you’ll wonder why you didn’t think of it ages ago.
This was also one of the most popular drinks at our Mad Men party that we held in our vintage home bar.
Side note: You can get an inside look at how the room looks in Karlynn’s latest post: How to Throw a Mad Men Party.
This drink was so popular in fact, that I had to refill the pitcher three times because we kept running out. Granted, most of this was consumed by just two people (you know who you are!).
Here’s a look at the card I made; including the fun character profile; for Roger Sterling’s Classic Greyhound cocktail station:
These are traditionally made with vodka but also tastes great with gin so if you are more of a gin drinker than by all means feel free to use it instead of vodka.
There are different types of grapefruit juice as well (or so I’ve discovered) so for Greyhound Cocktail Recipe, I’d recommend using Tropicana Grapefruit juice or something similar since it’s a bit sweet. You don’t want one that is too tart without enough sweetness.
Now, there are two ways you can prepare these. You can make the Greyhound Cocktail in a traditional martini glass as shown above (in which case, don’t use ice) or you can prepare it in a tall glass with half a glass of ice. It completely depends on whether or not you want to use ice and dilute it a bit.
Ingredients in a Greyhound Cocktail
- Stolichnaya Vodka (Stoli for short) or gin if you prefer a gin based Greyhound Cocktail.
- grapefruit juice
- simple syrup
How to Make Simple Syrup
Here are some quick instructions on how to make simple syrup. Basically, it’s an equal parts recipe so on a stove in a small pot, add 1 cup of sugar with 1 cup of water and heat. Continue heating and stirring until all of the sugar is dissolved. Pour into a container to cool and place in the fridge. That’s it! You can, of course, adjust according to how much you want to make.
How to Make a Greyhound Cocktail
- To prepare your Classic Greyhound Cocktail, add 3-4 ice cubes to a cocktail shaker.
- Pour 2 ounces of vodka, 4 ounces of grapefruit juice and (optionally) 1 teaspoon of simple syrup to the shaker.
- Shake well.
- If you want your Greyhound Cocktail without ice, which is the classic method, pour into a martini or cocktail glass and serve. If you prefer ice, pour over a small glass half filled with ice.
- Serve and enjoy!
To see all of the other drinks and the write up on the Mad Men Party, click these links below!
And there you have it! All the booze that you need for your Mad Men Themed Party!
Happy (and responsible) drinking everyone! Love you more than Old Fashioned’s,
Mike (aka Mr Magpie)
PIN THIS RECIPE to your COCKTAIL RECIPES Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
- 2 oz Vodka or gin if you prefer
- 4 oz Grapefruit juice
- 1 tsp simple syrup optional
- Add 3-4 ice cubes to a cocktail shaker.
- Add 2 ounces of vodka (or gin if preferred)
- Add 4 ounces of grapefruit juice
- Add 1 tsp of simple syrup (optional)
- Shake well and pour into martini or cocktail glass.
A favourite of Roger Sterling from the Mad Men tv show.