My dears, I am going to show you How to Make the Best Instant Pot Rice Pudding! We Canadians tend to eat rice pudding that is vastly different from our American friends – and we take our rice pudding really seriously. While the southern version is a creamy, more pudding-concentrated dessert our prairie rice pudding is very rice based.
Table of Contents
Read on to Learn How To Make the Best Instant Pot Rice Pudding!
The classic one, the Five Roses Cookbook Rice Pudding is thick with rice, with more emphasis on rice than the underlying creamy pudding. We then pour cream or milk on top of it to not only cool it down but dilute it slightly. It works – and it’s a classic Canadian dish. Now I’m not saying that we don’t make liquidy rice puddings here in Canada or claiming that everyone makes their rice pudding that way. I can attest however that here on the Prairies, this is the type of rice pudding I have eaten at people’s houses. The first time I tried Kheer, the (very good) pistachio rice pudding you will usually find at an Indian food buffet I was honestly puzzled at how much liquid there was. It goes to show you that rice pudding variations are completely regional and are so vastly different.
Can I Put Raisins in the Instant Pot Rice Pudding? Will They Turn Out?
Yes! I gave it a whirl to test it out and thanks to the oatmeal setting dried raisins are perfectly soft by the time the pudding is cooked. We also used raisins in our Instant Pot rice pudding which turns it more tan in colour. If you used golden raisins it wouldn’t turn this colour BUT that would be negated by the fact that you simply must use nutmeg in this rice pudding. And the nutmeg is also going to add a brown tinge to the pudding. I rarely use cinnamon in my rice pudding, it’s always nutmeg but feel free to sub in whatever spices you like.
Instant Pot Rice Pudding Tips & Tricks
- Use medium-grain rice. I always use medium grain rice as it’s just not the same if you use rice that doesn’t have some body to it, some heft to the grain. Basmati and Jasmine rice don’t have the same effect in a pudding at all – and I’ve tried them all. There’s a reason that a lot of people also use Arborio rice in their rice puddings, it has some chew to it.
- Make sure that your Instant Pot seals. For some reason rice dishes can give you a hard time when using the Instant Pot, so listen carefully to make sure the pot seals. If it doesn’t, you will have burnt rice on the bottom and dry pudding. The pot should seal in 5-6 minutes.
- Add in any and all spices that you would like.
- If you want a creamier pudding, you can add in two beaten eggs at the end. Simply beat them, add in one tablespoon of hot pudding to temper the cold eggs, then beat back into the hot rice pudding in the Instant Pot.
- To find out more about the Instant Pot, you can head to their website!
What really surprised me is that the raisins weren’t too mushy and actually still had form to them. I used the “oatmeal” setting on the Instant Pot for 20 minutes and yes, those raisins were in there the entire time. Other than adding the brown colour to the pudding, they were perfectly cooked!
I was also pleasantly surprised that the bottom didn’t scald or stick and that this worked out so well that we had it for breakfast the same morning I tested it out. Yes, nothing like rice pudding for breakfast on a Saturday!
Happy Instant Pot Cooking babes!
Pin this to your DESSERTS and INSTANT POT RECIPES boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
The Best Instant Pot Rice Pudding
- 1 cup medium grain rice
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- Rinse the rice well and drain.
- Place the rice, milk, water, raisins, nutmeg and white sugar into your Instant Pot. Mix together, making sure that the sugar dissolves.
- Place the lid on your Instant Pot and close. Turn the knob to sealing.
- Press the porridge button and cook for 20 minutes.
- When done, release the pressure manually by placing a tea towel over top of the knob and releasing safely. YOU must find your own way of safely releasing the steam without burning yourself.
- Stir and ladle the rice pudding into bowls and serve.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.