Have leftover taco meat after your Taco Tuesday? Fear not, this taco omelette is the perfect way to use up leftovers in a completely new dish! The best part is that you don’t need massive amounts of leftover taco meat, you just need enough to add the flavor to the omelette. This is low carb, packed with protein and when you add that pico de gallo on top? It might just become your new favorite omelette!
My kids love tacos and Mike and I love taco salad, so they happen quite often around our house for dinner. We use my homemade taco seasoning and cook up a batch of taco meat. There are ALWAYS leftovers, I make sure to make a double batch of ground beef or turkey so that we can have it on salads for lunches the next day.
That said, I was tired of the usual low carb breakfasts these past couple of weeks and wanted to seriously spice it up. I always am up for egg recipes, thus, the taco omelette was born. In all seriousness, you could heat up any food and put pico de gallo on it and I would happily eat it, it’s one of my favorite flavors.
The key to making a great omelette is an omelette or crepe pan like the one shown below. It makes it SO EASY! It is called a pancake pan, but the uses are endless! It would make great pancakes too!
You spray both sides of the pan with cooking spray, heat it up, place the contents in and cook. THEN when it’s time to flip it, because there is a top lid you literally just flip it over. The omelette then falls to the other side and cooks perfectly. I looooove it! If you make crepes or omelettes on a regular basis, you need this pan!
Then top that omelette with cheese on one side, fold the plain side over the cheese and you literally have the easiest omelette you have ever made.
Then salt, pepper and pico de gallo ( and I always add more cilantro as I love it) and you have a seriously great start to your day. If there had been avocados or homemade guacamole around, I would have added some slices of avocado or a dollop of guacamole for sure!
So, how are we all doing now that we are past the Christmas rush and excitement and we are firmly stuck in the month of January? Everyone hanging in there?
Oh, I always look forward to this month being over with! We are stuck in a deep freeze here in Edmonton, so cold that we are one of the coldest places on Earth this week! Why do I live where the air hurts my face??
Love you more than chocolate,
PIN THIS RECIPE to your BREAKFAST or LOW CARB RECIPES Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Taco Omelette Using Leftover Taco Meat
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 5 minutes
- omelette pan
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1/4 cup leftover cooked taco meat
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1/4 cup shredded Tex Mex cheese
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper
- pico de gallo
- chopped cilantro
- Mix together the taco meat, eggs and cream.
- Spray an omelette pan or a small pan that can make omelettes with the cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. If you are using the omelette pan, spray BOTH sides of the pan.
- Pour the egg mixture into the heated pan and cook on the one side until it is lightly browned on the bottom and the omelette is cooked almost all the way through. If using an omelette pan, close the top lid while cooking. Cook until only the top is runny with raw egg.
- Carefully flip the omelette over to cook the other side. If you have an omelette pan, you can simply quickly turn the entire closed pan over. The omelette will flip inside. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Place the shredded cheese on top of half of the omelette, then fold the other half of the omelette over top of the cheese.
- Let the cheese melt, then serve. Salt and pepper to taste. Top with pico de gallo and cilantro if desired.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.