Riiight. Valentine’s Day is coming and let’s see, everyone is looking for recipes, yes?
Yes Magpie, you scatterbrained bird, get it together. It’s time for red and white and delicious recipes.
Well peeps, even though I may be travelling, I did make a couple of Valentine’s Day recipes for you all to enjoy these next few days before I left! They have been tested, eaten and wholeheartedly approved by all.
The recipes coming up are easy, delicious, tasty and did I mention easy? Lazy, thy name is Magpie. (I think I’ve mentioned this before, yes? Holiday’s bring out the lazy in me.)
This trifle used a lovely vanilla cake mix, gorgeous white chocolate whipped cream and fresh strawberries, none of which are hard to make. I wanted to jazz up the whipped cream a bit and thus added in the white chocolate, giving it another level of taste. You know me and chocolate. It’s a true love kind of deal between the two of us.Print
- in one vanilla cake mix prepared according to the package instructions and baked two pans (easier to break up)
- 3-4 cups of fresh strawberries washed, hulled and sliced
- 3 cups of whipped cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 ounces of white chocolate chopped (Extra for garnish if wanted)
- 4 tbsp whipped cream to melt into chocolate
one large trifle bowl
- Combine the chopped white chocolate and the 4 tbsp of whipped cream into a heavy saucepan and place over medium heat.Continuously stir until the white chocolate melts & the mixture is smooth. Cool the white chocolate mixture at least 15 minutes.
- Beat the three cups of chilled whipping cream plus the vanilla in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Whisk in the cooled white chocolate mixture. Set aside.
- Take the baked cake and cut into one inch pieces.
- Take half of the cake pieces and press into the bottom of the trifle bowl gently, making sure there are no gaps.
- Place a third of the strawberries on top of the cake.
- Place one half of the whipped cream mixture on top.
- Repeat the layer with cake, strawberries and whipped cream.
- Sprinkle the top with the remainder of the chopped strawberries and then grate some white chocolate on top for garnish if wanted.
- Let chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Serve cold and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 8
I might have a bit of an addiction to trifles, mainly because you can make them the night before and they are even better for sitting in the fridge for hours! Score!
This was so easy and was a serious hit with my family. We had company over and my brother – who is famous for not liking fruit and vegetables- had two servings of it and tried to wrangle taking the leftovers home. No deal, bro.
So, does anyone have any major plans for Valentine’s Day? Any hot dates? Dinners at home? Movies? Valentine’s Day is on Friday this year, oh my word, is everything going to be busy!
Me? I most likely will eat a grilled cheese sandwich, curl up on the couch with the kids and go to bed early. Mike and I are at the end of our trip to Europe and Imma getting tired!
Thanks for stopping in!