Raise your hand if you’ve heard of Southern Sock it to Me Cake. This retro cake hasn’t really been seen much since the 1970’s when it was a serious must-bake cake with homemakers. I’m going to keep this one in my back pocket for when I am short on time but need a dessert to impress! Everyone loved the sweet pecan layer that sneaks right in the middle! Another great old bundt cake is Gum Drop Cake, it’s a classic!
Table of Contents
What is Sock it to Me Cake?
Sock it to Me Cake was one of THE cake’s of the 1970’s and probably very much a Southern cake more than a Northern confection. Now as we all know, there are many cakes of the 1970’s, if there is one thing that was popular back then it was using cake mixes to create all sorts of desserts. Convenient and delicious were the two words of the decade when it came to baking. All a Sock it to Me Cake is, is a golden cake mix that you mix up with sour cream (for tang and moisture, of course) and then you make a lovely pecan/brown sugar/cinnamon filling for the center of the cake.
Karlynn’s Tips & Tricks for Making Sock it to Me Cake
- Feel free to switch up the cake mix type, I used a butter pecan cake because it’s one of my favourite indulgences, and I thought that the pecan filling would match it perfectly. And it did! This is technically supposed to use a Golden or Yellow cake mix and I do believe that original recipe specifies “Duncan Hines Cake Butter Golden Cake Mix“. That leads me to believe that this was a Duncan Hines concoction for sure!
- Try not to over bake the cake but bundts can be a difficult cake shape. Make sure to check in by the middle circle of the bundt cake as it’s always the last area to bake up fully for me.
- You can also change up the icing any way you please! I have included the original plain glaze to stay true to the recipe, but I personally would use my Buttery Vanilla Glaze. There is just nothing that compares to that glaze!
Now, WHO has eaten this cake with the crazy name??? I haven’t, but I am SO glad that I found it, everyone loved it ( they are rather easy to please when it comes to sweets, but whatever.) I think it’s a great cake for when you are in a hurry and need something that seems spectacular, but is so darn easy you don’t want to give away your secret!
Pin This To Your CAKES or DESSERTS Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Sock it to Me Cake
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 55 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour 5 minutes
- North American
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 Golden Cake Mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 4 eggs
For the Pecan filling:
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- For the glaze:
- 1 cup icing/powered/confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Grease and flour a bundt pan then set aside.
- Combine the 2 tablespoons of cake mix, cinnamon, brown sugar, and pecans; set aside.
- In a large bowl, blend together the cake mix, sour cream, oil, water, eggs, and sugar. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes until smooth.
- Pour 1/2 of the batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the pecan mixture on top of the first layer of batter. Once done, pour the rest of the batter on top.
- Bake at 375°F for 45 to 55 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 25 minutes then invert onto a baking rack to cool completely.
- Blend the icing/powdered sugar and milk together to make a glaze. Drizzle over cake. Enjoy!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.