These saucy crock pot chicken thighs are a great dinner for a busy day. Lots of tangy sauce that goes well with rice and a side of vegetables makes for a filling dinner the whole family will love.
Table of Contents
Saucy Baked Chicken Thighs
When you are tired of the usual go-to of baked chicken thighs, this recipe will break you out of that routine with a zesty mouthful of flavor.
They are cooked either for 3-4 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low meaning you can fit it in to your busy day so you have it ready to eat at a moments notice.
What To Cook as a Side
The sauce in these Crockpot Chicken Thighs makes a great zesty flavor on everything it goes on. White rice or mashed potatoes would be a great side that the sauce would soak into giving everything an extra rich coating of flavor.
How to Store
Because this is a saucy dish, you can split up the sauce from the chicken thighs if you want. You can put the thighs in one container and then pour the sauce into another making sure they have tight fitting lids.
This is best stored in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, reheated lightly in the microwave if preferred.
The reason I like to store the sauce separate is for leftover sides of rice or potatoes. I enjoy just using the sauce poured over a side for a snack or quick lunch as an option.
The cold weather is coming here in Canada and that means more Crock Pot recipes!
Enjoy and happy cooking!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your CROCK POT RECIPES Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Saucy Crock Pot Chicken Thighs
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 8 hours
- Main Course
- 8 thighs
- Karlynn Johnston
- 6-8 chicken thighs bone in, skin on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup liquid honey
- 3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the thighs with salt and pepper, then place the chicken thighs into the hot oil, skin side down first, and cook until the skin is crispy and the skin releases from the pan on its own (don't force it or the skin will tear). Turn and cook the underside quickly until browned then place in the bottom of the crock pot.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add all of the sauce ingredients. Whisk together until smooth and pour over the chicken. Place lid on the crock pot and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 7-8 hours until chicken is done and the sauce has thickened.
- Remove the chicken and place on a serving dish and cover to keep warm if needed.
- If the sauce needs thickening, whisk together a tablespoon of cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water, then whisk into the sauce in the bottom of the crock pot. Turn the crock pot on high and cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Serve the chicken with the sauce drizzled over top.
- This is excellent served over rice or mashed potatoes.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.