Rich and Creamy Parmesan Garlic Sautéed Mushrooms ! Also known as fried mushroom crack, these sautéed mushrooms are covered in a rich, decadent Parmesan garlic cream sauce! Mr Magpie claimed for years that he didn’t like mushrooms – this is THE recipe that changed his mind. He took one bite and declared ” Oh my God Lynn, these are crack mushrooms!”
Sautéed Mushrooms Are the Ultimate Side Dish
If I had to pick one dish that I couldn’t live without, it’s sauteed mushrooms. Actually, it’s mushroom anything. Mushrooms are my favourite thing to eat – on burgers, as a side dish, in pasta, you name it and I love it. This mushroom dish is actually low carb and fits into a Keto diet for those who are wanting a decadent low carb side dish. Or you could also just eat them for dinner.
Do You Have to Wash Mushrooms Before Cooking Them?
Oh my yes! If you take a look at the mushrooms you buy, they are dirty and are definitely not washed. Mushrooms will become slimy if they are washed too early before using, so make sure to rinse them right before you use them. There are some that claim you shouldn’t wash mushrooms as they become waterlogged and you should simply brush them off with a towel. Heck no! That’s so nasty I can’t even start. I have never had my mushrooms waterlogged. Simply rinse them – not soak- under running water to rub off the grime ( manure, let’s be honest here) and the slice them as you want.
Karlynn’s Cooking Tips for Sauteed Mushrooms
- Buy firm, white mushrooms at the grocery store. Try to make sure that the mushrooms are blemish free and not slimy.
- I always slice the bottoms off of the mushrooms I buy, not only because they are always brown and my mind goes ewww, the ends also tend to be dried out and tough. Rinse the mushrooms and slice the ends off.
- I like to use whole mushrooms in this recipe, they are so toothsome and enjoyable! You can however use sliced ones if you prefer.
- Mushrooms will go brown when you slice them ahead of time, this doesn’t affect the taste at all but it’s always better to slice them fairly close to the time that you are going to cook them. A little lemon juice will, as always, prevent browning if it’s a real concern.
You can turn this sauteed mushroom recipe into a sauce for fettucine, by the way! This is a riff on my Homemade Alfredo Sauce recipe with some differing amounts but still the same concept. Simply double the sauce recipe and don’t reduce it as much and then serve it with pasta! Mushroom Alfredo, what could be better?
If you want some other delicious mushroom recipes, try these:
- Fast & Easy Teriyaki Fried Mushrooms
- Beer & Mushroom Instant Pot Pot Roast
- Spinach Mushroom Frittata
- Baked Cheesy Bacon & Chanterelle Pasta
- Wild Mushroom Risotto
Now mushroom lovers, you make sure to try this and let me know what you think in the comments below! Happy cooking!
Pin This Recipe to your Appetizers Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Rich and Creamy Parmesan Garlic Sauteed Mushrooms
Rich and Creamy Parmesan Garlic Sauteed Mushrooms ! Also known as fried mushroom crack, these sauteed mushrooms are covered in a rich, decadent Parmesan garlic cream sauce! This recipe is low carb and Keto friendly.
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 20 minutes
- Total Time
- 30 minutes
- Side Dish
- North American
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1.5 lbs white mushrooms
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 fresh grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- fresh parsley to garnish
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the salted butter. Add in the mushrooms and saute until they are tender and browned, around 10 minutes.
Add in the minced garlic and saute for another 2-3 minutes until it's browned and fragrant.
Pour in the whipping cream and stir to coat the mushrooms.
Stir in the Parmesan and the cream cheese. Keep stirring the sauce until they have melted in and the mixture is smooth.
Reduce the heat to medium and cook the sauce, reducing until it's thick and creamy, around 10 minutes. Remove when the desired sauce thickness has been reached.
Garnish with fresh parsley if desired and serve.
You can use any size of mushrooms you like in this, just cook accordingly!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.