An intensely flavorful, creamy and cheesy delight, this Pimento Cheese Sandwich is a fresh take on the plain grilled cheese. This recipe for Pimento Cheese Sandwiches is a great way to enjoy a zesty, filling and fast lunch. There is no better sandwich that fills you up for cold weather except maybe a Red Pepper & Feta Grilled Cheese Sandwich which is another great flavorful take on the standard grilled cheese sandwich.
Table of Contents
Pimento Cheese Sandwich
This recipe starts with making a great pimento cheese that is also a great dip. So if you have extra left over it will not go to waste I am sure of it. Pimento cheese will go well with most crackers or even a baguette sliced in small pieces to dip.
As this is such a simple recipe, mixing everything together in a bowl and its done. But the key is to make it the day before you want to eat it, so it gives the cheeses time to absorb and meld the flavors together making it even more flavorful.
What Type Of Bread Is Best For This Recipe?
Bread is basically the cornerstone of many meals and can fit into pretty much any meal for any occasion. In this instance, the choice of bread makes a huge difference in the final quality of your sandwich because the bread is really what determines what kind of sandwich you are going to eat.
Basic white Texas toast is what we love to use, but a whole wheat option would work well too. A beautiful 12 grain type bread would also work, but this bread has a more diverse flavor which may mellow out the pimento cheese flavor a little.
For this sandwich, whatever you choose will work fine as long as the choice is right for you.
Looking for more delicious Sandwich recipes? Try these out:
Pin this recipe to your Sandwich Recipes Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Pimento Cheese Sandwiches
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 5 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- one 4 ounce jar pimentos drained well and chopped
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeños drained, deseeded and chopped
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder more to taste if desired
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper optional
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 slices Texas Toast bread
- 4 tablespoons butter
Pimento Cheese Instructions
- Place the shredded cheddar cheese, cream cheese, mayonnaise, pimento, jalapeños, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and onion powder in a large bowl.
- Mix until combined. Taste test, then add in more garlic or cayenne if desired, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate until the next day for the best results for a dip, but this can be eaten right away if desired in sandwiches.
To Make Sandwiches
- Heat a large skillet or griddle to medium-high heat. Butter one side of each bread slice and set aside.
- Place one piece of bread, butter side down, on the griddle. Scoop out 3-4 tablespoons of the pimento cheese into the middle of the slice and spread out into an even layer.
- Place another slice of bread, butter side up on top. Repeat for three more sandwiches.
- Grill each sandwich until the bottom is browned and toasted, then carefully flip over and repeat until the other side has browned.
- Remove and let sit briefly, then slice and enjoy.
- Make sure that the cream cheese is well softened or you will have clumps in the mixture.
- Extra sharp cheese is also known as extra OLD
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.