Sometimes, you just need a simple cookie, with ingredients that you almost always have on hand in your pantry with no running out to the store involved. This Pecan & Coconut Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe is exactly that, I took an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe but jazzed up a little. These cookies were whipped up a while back and of course, I forgot to post the recipe. If you could only see my “Drafts” folder in the back-end of my website, you would yell “Karlynn!! Get the heck to work! Gimme those recipes!”
These were a delicious little change from the ordinary oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe, the coconut and the pecans gave them a delightful boost of “chew” and “crunch” respectively.
How to Make Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Cream the butter and sugars together with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time until combined. Add in the vanilla, mix in.
- Whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet, mixing thoroughly. Add the oats, combine.
- Stir (by hand) in the coconut, pecans and chocolate chips until combined.
- Bake in the 350 degree oven for 10-11 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
Can I substitute steel oats for rolled oats?
NO! Steel cut oats are not used in cookie recipes with good results, they are too hard and don’t get soft and chewy. Used rolled or large flake oats. If you use the instant oats, the cookies won’t have the same chewy texture. You need oats that won’t break down in the cookie for the best results.
Tips and Tricks for Making Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Under bake your cookies, always, This ensures that you get a soft, chewy oatmeal cookie and not one as hard as a rock.
- You don’t have to add in the coconut and the pecans, you can just make a plain oatmeal cookie with chocolate chips, but this is probably the best cookie ever thanks to the pecans and the coconut!
- You can sub in any nuts that you want instead of the pecans, this recipe is all about using what you have in your pantry
Don’t forget to PIN THIS RECIPE to your COOKIE RECIPES board and remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
Pecan and Coconut Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 10 minutes
- Total Time
- 15 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 2 1/2 cups large flake oats
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups toasted pecans
Preheat the oven to 350°F
Cream the butter and sugars together with a mixer until light and fluffy.
Beat in the eggs, one at a time until combined. Add in the vanilla, mix in.
Whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda.
Add the dry ingredients into the wet, mixing thoroughly. Add the oats, combine.
Stir (by hand) in the coconut, pecans and chocolate chips until combined.
Form into balls and place onto baking sheets 2 inches apart. Bake in the 350 degree oven for 10-11 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
Remove and let cook on the baking sheets for 10 minutes then place onto wire baking racks to cool completely.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.