My mom makes the BEST Homemade Stove Top Stuffing. The end. Period. No one else makes it the way she does. For years she took a literal box of Stop Top Stuffing and added to it – fried celery ,mushrooms and onions, it’s SO good – and it’s an awesome cheater way to make stuffing. We have over the years developed a completely from-scratch version of homemade stove top stuffing to make it 100% actually homemade. And it’s even better than the packaged stuff, mainly because now we also cook deconstructed turkey on top of it in my new Deconstructed Turkey, Stuffing & Vegetables in ONE Roaster recipe. If you haven’t read that post – GO NOW. That recipe will change the way you cook your holiday turkey forever! I mean it!
I’m going to admit it and tell you guys that the stuffing (dressing to my American friends) is my favourite part of any holiday dinner. Forget the turkey, give me all of the carbs. And then smother those carbs in turkey gravy. Now while this is an incredible good stuffing on its own, when you make it baked underneath a turkey it is something that I have been craving since I made that deconstructed turkey.
The drippings soak into the stuffing and make it honestly the best I have ever eaten. I can’t wait to make this homemade stove top stuffing again for Christmas and do it exactly the way I did before.
This time I will triple the recipe.
Yes, you heard me right. This recipe was enough for 4 people with leftovers, so it yields 6 servings. That’s just not enough homemade stove top stuffing at all, as far as I am concerned. I like a LOT of leftovers and stuffing tops the list as the #1 thing that I want to have a lot of in the fridge to go with the turkey.
This recipe tripled and cooked under the deconstructed turkey will also be enough to feed a 14 of us, with leftovers which is what I am aiming for at Christmas.
Then I’ll tuck some away for me in the fridge and hide it. I’m evil like that.
If you are looking for some more seasonal recipes, try these two desserts for a treat!
So, who else is in for a triple batch of homemade stove top stuffing?
Love you more than turkey dinner,
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR CHRISTMAS, THANKSGIVING & DINNER BOARDS!
- 10-11 cups of cubed white bread, dried out in the oven completely
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup finely diced white onion
- 1 cup finely diced carrot
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup finely diced mushroom
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups strong chicken broth
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the onion, carrots, celery and mushrooms. Sautee until soft. Add in the garlic and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the seasoning and mix throughout. Pour in the chicken broth and stir until combined.
- Add in the bread cubes and toss with a wooden spoon etc. to coat the cubes as much as you can with the mixture, trying not to squish the cubes.
- Place a lid on top and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove and serve.
For stuffing that you use under the turkey, double this recipe using a large stock pot and use 1/2 cup less chicken broth per batch as the drippings will help add moisture during the chicken process.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. Actual nutritional numbers will vary due to cooking methods, your ingredient measurements and brands of products used.