I haven’t made honey garlic chicken for years, perhaps decades to be honest. It all came about because I was a grouch. True story.
I honestly can admit that I make for a poor patient. I tore my calf muscle the past weekend and it really irks me to have to sit around. While you won’t see my running a marathon, I’m not the type of person to sit all day long and not putter around, which is probably why I ended up being a food blogger. You have to get up and move, and cook and take photos, then you get to sit and relax while editing photos and writing up the recipe for your readers. A good balance, I say.
I was hobbling around Sunday, growling about how I can’t do anything and had a message pop up from a reader that asked me for a really good honey garlic chicken recipe. I scratched my head a bit and realized that I don’t actually make honey garlic chicken on a regular basis. Yes, I make my Uncle Bob’s Japanese Chicken Wings, but I don’t make honey garlic chicken.
And presto, I was craving honey garlic chicken yesterday, just like that. I became a wee bit obsessed with the thought of honey garlic chicken for dinner and mentioned it to Mike as I was taking chicken thighs out of the freezer that someone had asked me if I knew a honey garlic chicken recipe and now I was CRAVING IT.
He looked up from his laptop and excitedly said ” Oh man, my mom has the BEST honey garlic chicken recipe ever! Let me ask her for it!”
Now listen, Mr Magpie doesn’t really get excited about food like that, so I was totally game.
Don’t tell him this, but he was right.
This is seriously the best honey garlic chicken recipe ever.
It’s ooey and gooey and sweet and garlicky and I was sad that I only made 6 chicken thighs! Karlynn, you fool! What were you thinking?
You can make as much sauce as you want with it – we reserved a cup to the side to add onto the chicken later – and just pour that all over rice. Not only that, this recipe is so easy – the sauce is only 5 ingredients! It’s crazy easy!
Happy cooking you guys!
This time it’s the Mother in law’s recipe! Her easy honey garlic chicken recipe is seriously THE BEST!
- 6-8 chicken thighs or legs
- 1/2 cup soy sauce ( make it low sodium if salt bothers you)
- 1 cup liquid honey
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Whisk together all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl large enough to hold the chicken as well. Reserve some of the sauce for later. ( I like to keep a cup of fresh sauce with no chicken juice in it to the side to pour on top later, but you can use the marinade if you are inclined)
- Place chicken into the sauce and cover. Marinate for an hour or two if possible, turning if you get the chance.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pre-heat an oven safe skillet with olive oil in it.
- Fry the chicken until the skin started to crisp up ( this helps the skin not get too soggy in the oven)
- Pour the remaining sauce on top of the chicken.
- Place the skillet into the oven and bake until the thighs reach an internal temperature of 185 degrees F. You can occasionally baste the chicken with sauce while cooking if wanted.
- Serve with rice, potatoes etc. It’s exceptional with rice!