Light and zesty, these lemon cookies are an easy and quick to whip up dessert. The perfect accompaniment to a cup of coffee after a great lunch or dinner!
Table of Contents
These lemon cookies are a family favorite for good reason. They can be made with white chocolate chips, or for those of you who like just pure lemon flavor – without.
How Long Can You Freeze Lemon Cookies?
Lemon cookies can be frozen for quite a long time, simply freeze them individually on a cookie tray first, then remove from the freezer, add the frozen cookies to a ziploc bag (freezer safe is best obviously) and return to the freezer for up to 2 months for optimal freshness.
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 8 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2-3 drops of yellow food coloring
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using a handheld mixer, beat the butter and granulated sugar together for 1 to 2 minutes or until well combined. Add the egg and mix until fully combined.
- Mix in the lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon extract, and yellow food coloring until fully combined, making sure to stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the dry ingredients (and white chocolate chips if you want) and mix until just combined.
- Cover tightly and transfer to the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator. Using a 1.5 tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop balls of the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets, making sure to leave a little room between each one.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the tops of the cookie are set. Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheets for 5 to 10 minutes, then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.