How to Make Campfire Pizza, AKA how I keep my sanity while camping with children that are picky eaters! I’m pretty sure that my kids can now get their own apartments, because they now know How to Make Campfire Pizza! Freedom, here I come! Ok, while that’s not actually true, I really needed to share how easy it is to make pizzas on the campfire. You will also notice that this pizza is all cheese. Geez, one guess which kid that was? Yes, my Rose girl. Mike and I ate amazing Lemon Garlic Dill Shrimp & Potatoes, and she ate cheese pizza because she won’t touch shrimp with a ten foot pole. Oy. How did I get two seafood hating kids when I love it soooooo much?
This is really more of a how-to than an actual recipe but hey, I figured that maybe not all of us have thought hey, let’s make the kids pizza over the campfire so that I can eat my shrimp in peace.
Uh… just me? C’mon, there must be more than a few of us that just want to feed our kids cheese pizza so we can eat our adult meal in peace.
Campfire pizza is seriously easy to make. You need pizza dough, pizza sauce and toppings – and if you have a cast iron skillet, it’s even better. You CAN use any flat pan that you put on the fire or BBQ, however, so don’t think that the cast iron skillet is a make it or break it!
The key to making campfire pizza is that you have to cook the crust first, flip it in the pan, then add your sauce and toppings. There is nothing worse than gluey, under cooked pizza dough and this method is how you prevent it!
Happy camping AND cooking!
Pin this recipe to your CAMPING RECIPES BOARD and remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
- 1 tube of refrigerated pizza dough or frozen pizza dough
- 1 jar of pizza sauce
- 2 cups of mozzarella cheese
- your choice of pepperoni mushrooms, vegetables, whatever toppings you want!
- Oil a cast iron pan ( or baking sheet, pizza stone etc.)
- Take the refrigerated dough and spread in the pan.
- Place on the fire or the BBQ. Cook until the bottom has browned.
- Remove from the fire and flip the crust in the pan.
- Brush with pizza sauce, place your toppings on and then cover in cheese.
- Return to the heat and cook until the crust is done underneath and the toppings are warm
- Remove and enjoy!
Nutritional data will depend on what your toppings are.