The inspiration for these coconut biscuits was my latest soup recipe, curried butternut squash, lentil and coconut soup. I almost always bake fresh biscuits when we have soup for supper, knowing that the leftovers are going to make a great lunch for my kids the next day. Usually these are simple cheese biscuits, made with my restaurant copycat Best Biscuits Ever Recipe.
When I was making the soup I tasted it and though to myself how I would kill to have some coconut naan bread to pair with it.
And thus, these biscuits were born.
Not wanting to tackle naan bread that day, I decided that a coconut honey biscuit would be absolutely perfect with the soup. I baked these babies up and let me tell you, I’ll never bake another biscuit to go with any of my sweeter curried soups.
There’s just something so perfect about a sweet coconut flavor mixed in with a creamy curry soup that make my tastebuds happy.
Now, I know that I have been a slacker this past week when it comes to posts, but this girl has been duck hunting in Manitoba.
In case you just snorted out loud with disbelief and thought I was kidding or just throwing excuses around wildly, the proof is below.
I have been totally off the grid since Sunday afternoon, no phone or internet service at all, which was an amazing change of pace. I have so many pictures to share and stories to tell that I hardly know where to begin, but I will, and very soon.
For now, I leave you with this recipe. Pair it with the butternut squash soup or another curried soup recipe you enjoy. Make it this coming weekend and have leftovers for school (or work) lunches on Monday.
This weekend we are off for the Pheasant Hunting Festival in Taber, Alberta. Wish me luck, my shoulder is already black and blue (well, green would be a better description for the orange sized bruise on my shoulder) but I am hoping that two days off will have my gun shoulder back in action. I’d love to add a couple pheasants to the cooler full of frozen duck I have coming home with me already.
Happy Thursday everyone! Thanks for stopping in! I’ve missed ya!
Honey & Coconut Biscuits
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 18 minutes
- Total Time
- 28 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
Honey Coconut Topping:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Kick the tires and light the fires to 425 degrees.
- Combine all the dry ingredients well; take a whisk to them or sift. Then cut in the butter until the mixture is coarse crumbs.
- Once the butter is cut in, pour the milk in and combine.
- Roll the dough out until it's about ½ - ¾ inch thick, then use either a biscuit cutter, or a glass to cut out the biscuits.
- Melt the butter for the topping in the microwave in a small container then mix in the honey.
- Place the shredded coconut on a small plate.
- Using your pastry brush, brush the honey sauce on the top of the biscuits. Turn the biscuit over and dip into the coconut, covering the top completely.
- Place on a well-greased baking sheet, coconut side up.
- Bake for 10 minutes until they have risen and are starting to brown on top, then if the coconut is starting to darken too much, cover lightly with tinfoil and bake until done, another 5-7 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Learn to cook like the Kitchen Magpie