Hey, look, it’s my favorite carb, but this time it’s roasted red potatoes that are covered in herbs and garlic! What could be better? While I do love my salty, crispy baked potato recipe as my easy all time favorite, this is a way to cook RED potatoes that you’re sure to love!
Grab the ingredients for a dry rub for ribs or whip up some New York strip steaks with roasted tomatoes add these in and you have a fantastic summer dinner.
Quick and Easy Roasted Red Potatoes
I prefer to use small baby red potatoes, sometimes called creamer potatoes, as they have a great skin to flesh ratio. (that sounded weird, but use it in the context of potato skin and the flesh of the potato, not Hannibal Lector.) When you are roasting potatoes, the skin, in my humble opinion, is the best part, it absorbs the flavors and crisps up perfectly.
Use larger red potatoes when you are using a smashed potatoes recipe (I like Russet potatoes in those as well!) as they hold their shape nicely.
The Best Uses for Red Potatoes
Red potatoes are high in moisture, low in starch are the potatoes you use when you want them to retain their shape. Red potatoes are best when you use them for:
- skillet frying
- soups where you don’t want the potato to break down
- potato salads where you want the potatoes to hold their shape well – try my German Potato Salad
You can adjust all of the seasonings to your liking, feel free to play around with them. This is a really basic how-to!
Pin this to your Side Dishes Board and remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST for more great recipe ideas!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Learn to cook like the Kitchen Magpie
Flapper Pie and a Blue Prairie Sky
A Modern Baker’s Guide to Old-Fashioned Desserts
The Prairie Table
Suppers, Potlucks & Socials: Crowd-Pleasing Recipes to Bring People Together
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Herb and Garlic Roasted Red Potatoes
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 35 minutes
- Side Dish
- 4 people
- Karlynn Johnston
- 2 pounds small red potatoes cut in half
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon flaked sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400°. Get out a large rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large bowl place the potatoes, olive oil, garlic, dill, parsley, salt and pepper. Toss until the potatoes are coated in the spices and olive oil.
- Place the potatoes onto the baking sheet, ensuring that they are in one layer.
- Roast the potatoes in the oven for 20 minutes, then flip to brown the other side. Continue roasting, flipping every 15 minutes until the potatoes are crisp on the outside and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot.
- Cook time will vary depending on how large the potatoes are and your individual oven
- Feel free to play with the spices and adjust to your own liking
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Made this recipe?
Share a photo of what you made on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @thekitchenmagpie or hashtag it #thekitchenmagpie.
Please rate this recipe in the comments below to help out your fellow cooks!
Comments & Recipe Tips Share a tip or comment!
Kemar W says
Quick and easy and very tasty. Thanks a bunch
Recipe looks yummy… but I think you have too many ads… You are getting lost, girl! Thanks for the recipe!